Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by nasimi77, Aug 4, 2008.

1. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Just wondered if anyone out there works for, or has worked for a charter school, and what your experience has been. I have heard good and bad about them. One bad thing I heard is the administration is not always that supportive, and they more easily let a teacher go than in a public school. However, at the opposite end of that I've heard admins can be very supportive, and pay is usually equal, or even better than public.

3. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I think they tend to vary just as much as a public school.

It depends on who runs them -- I've heard good things about Aspire and Edison, for example. Aspire actually requires that parents be very involved in their child's education, which I think is neat.

They usually try to be competitive with the going rate for public schools, but it depends on how much support they're getting from the district or other sources.

So... take them on a case by case basis. :) I always like to look up parent reviews of the school and see what their perceptions are.

4. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Thanks. Yeah, that's a good idea to look up parent reviews. Specifically, I am inquiring about "Alliance". I guess the chairman is former Mayor Riordan. I've heard some good things. I'm just trying to find a job right now. I have my elementary credential and there's hardly any jobs anywhere!

5. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

it varies...some are great...some really suck...like the one I was just at..ha

Because of that experience, I will probably never go back to a charter school. I'm now at a Catholic school. Politics are in every work place...but I am hoping this school is better.

My former co-worker came from a great charter school in california...and when I was looking for jobs out there...High Tech High seemed sooo wonderful!

6. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Do you know anything about "Alliance, College-Ready Public Schools?" Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks!:)

7. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

hi,

i have worked at 2 charter schools & it really just depends on where you end up. the first school i worked at was TERRIBLE :(; the second one - not so bad. based on my own experience, i enjoyed the other teachers & the children the most. what i disliked was the extended school day (8-4; 7:30-4:30 teacher workday), lack of resources/support, & low pay.

pay can be very tricky at a charter school. i started out (4 years ago) making slightly less than a public sch. teacher w/the same experience. however, as my public school peers were getting 1500+ raises each year....i was lucky to get 1000. the longer i worked there, the bigger the gap became between what i was making versus what i should have been making. unfortunately my charter did not have a salary schedule; this caused a lot of confusion not only for new hires (they would be hired at diff. rates w/same experience) but also for veterans such as myself.

i would not discourage you from giving charters a chance. but you need to be prepared to ask LOTS of questions. if anything seems fishy, it probably is. before accepting a position, be sure to ask for a school tour including your classroom (if possible). it would also be helpful to meet w/other teachers. make sure everyone is basically on the same page in terms of planning & such.

sorry for such a long post - hopefully this info. is helpful to you :) :) :). good luck!

Meri

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

We seem to have quite a few scandals about charter schools and how they spend their funds in this area. Also, some have management problems and never seem to find appropriate locations. On the other hand, many are thriving and parents like them. The pay here is usually district scale.

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

Like some have said here, it depends on the school. Whether is charter or not, it depends on who runs it.

I just started working for a Charter school after leaving a really bad regular public school. While I was getting paid slightly more at the regular school, I was also not given enough supplies to do my job and there was no support when it came to disciplining students. The stress was making me sick.

Today was my first day at the charter school and I was told that I could request anything I wanted for supplies and they also have an amazing discipline program with more preparation time (one hour and half). So far, I love my new school.

10. missalli

missalli Companion

Aug 4, 2008

Wow, that's awesome! Congrats on making it through the first day ;)

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 4, 2008

Thank you :D

12. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I worked at a Charter school last year (I will be giving my notice Wed. as soon as I sign with my new school).One good thing is the other teachers I worked with were GREAT!! I made a lot of good friends. Also, lots of parental involvement, and admin. basically left you alone to teach. However, pay not that great, admin not supportive, no duty free lunches ( I had some form of duty everyday), late dismissal compared to public school (3:45 for elem.), very limited resources, & I could go on. You just have to take your chances, I guess. Good luck!

13. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Aug 4, 2008

Wow, thanks everyone so far for the great posts. They do answer a lot of questions I have. To be honest, I think I'd still like to try and stick with public, but even there it depends on the school. I have to say the extended day would be a tough one for me. I like using that time for grading papers, lesson plans, etc....not still being in the classroom...just makes for an overall longer day!:huh: