Charter Schools??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by itseemstome, Jun 19, 2007.

1. itseemstome

itseemstome Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

What do you all know about Charter Schools? I have been invited to a job fair for charter schools and I'm not sure how different they are from public schools, particularly if they are publicly funded and essentially a part of the public school system. Is the teacher salary different? Are standards and student behavior the same? Would requirements to become a teacher be any different?

Thanks!

3. samanthamaren

samanthamaren Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I worked as an aide in a charter school before getting my degree. Here are a few things I noticed in my experience (please keep in mind, this is Ohio, every school is different!) I was considered a state employee. I got the state health care and retirement. Pay was significantly lower than in public schools. Our teachers started out at 26,000. Traditionally, teachers start here with their bachelors at around 32,000. You must be licensed as normal as well, although, most charter schools who need teachers will work with you to get an emergency license or temp license if necessary (my school did anyway!)Most charter schools need students (they only get $ for the students they have) so they will take ANY student that applies. I had, in a class of 15, 7 who were expelled from their public school. However, this is NOT to say that all charter schools are this way. Some can screen students more, but it is something to keep in mind. I would ask questions about pay, number of students in your class, resources (we had NOTHING), and about how the school selects students. Really do some research. Check out their website and read it to see what they say to parents about the school. See if you can find any sites where parents have posted comments about the school. You will be required to teach the same standards, by the way. You will be giving the same end of year tests that go on in public schools. I hope this helps, and please keep in mind that this is just one experience with charter schools. By the way, I actually enjoyed most of my time there-it was difficult with the lack of resources and behavior of some students, but it is rewarding. Pay sucked though, and thats why I left!

4. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 19, 2007

I honestly think it depends on the school. IN CA, they have been good things, but there are always bad ones. My cousins go to a public charter and my aunt and uncle are very happy with the eduvcation they are receiving...The charters Ive looked into seem to have the same rate of pay I would be making elsewhere.

Course private ones pay less.

5. itseemstome

itseemstome Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for the responses! The district I'm looking at has quite a few new schools opening, but they don't have any information currently about the new schools on their website.

Are there any Texans who can tell me about the charter schools here?

6. juc162

juc162 Companion

Jun 20, 2007

I'm going to be a new teacher at a public charter school in DC. The pay is more than I'd be getting as a new teacher in PA. Of course DC may cost more to live in. The school seems wonderful to me and the staff is really great. I really think it all depends. Go into the school and really get a feel for what it's like.