Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Maithal, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

Hi,
    I was wondering, do "Charter" Schools pay less than public school salary or is it about the same?
    Thanks!

3. Buckeye

Buckeye Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

I work at a charter school and get paid pretty close to the city school in the area. Maybe $1000 dollars less a year. Though the longer I am at the charter school the gap increases.

Compared to the suburban schools in my area I am underpaid.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 9, 2006

I think it depends on where you are & how the charter schools pay. My charter school is comparable to the schools around me, other charters are much lower.

5. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

My first teaching job was in a charter school and the pay was approximately 80% of public school. They told me when I was hired that it was comparable, but it turned out it was lower than the state's average significantly, and MUCH lower than the city the school was located in. There are other factors to consider, though: if you love the school, feel committed to the charter's mission, etc.

6. mcronan

mcronan Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

How are the benefits compared to the district?? Are they comparable?
    Meg

7. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 9, 2006

If the charters are part of the district then they pay by the same schedule, at least in my neck of the woods. But independent charters generally pay less.

8. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

One school in my area claims to pay 3% more than public schools. And each teacher gets a laptop for school use. I should have applied there!

9. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 9, 2006

i teach at a charter and get paid less than teachers employed by the school district i work IN (not for :)). our insurance is pretty good, though i pay about $100/month for my hubby + me. i am also contributing towards my state retire. prog. which is excellent! hope this helps some of you interested in charters...good luck! -meri

10. Esperanza

Esperanza Rookie

Aug 9, 2006

At an independent charter in our state, which is still considered a public school, the benefits were more expensive because there only 40 or so employees so it was about the same as you would get with any small business without lots of employees to contribute to offer "buying power" discounts. When I switched to a large district, the benefits were unbelieveably cheaper. There may be some charters that are affiliated with a larger organization or district so it is by no means a definite answer- just my experience.

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2006

I work in a charter school and this year I will be making $6,000 more than one of my friends who works 1/2 hour away and $2,000 more than the school system in the area where my school is located. Still not enough to make me want to stay...but enough to make me think about it.