Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by StarrShine2, Jul 16, 2010.

1. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

I have an interview with a charter school on Monday and unfortunately their website doesn't have much info.

Does anyone have any info on charter schools in general? It is for a charter school on Long Islan.

Thanks!

3. OedipaMaas

OedipaMaas Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

It's hard to generalize about charter schools because there are so many of them and there is such tremendous variation in quality, focus, and outcomes.

4. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Is there a general website where you can read school reviews and test scores for NY? For charter schools, I would make sure to do careful research. There are so many good ones, but so many ones that don't perform as well. Go in with many questions!

5. AhoyHoy

AhoyHoy Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Like OedipaMaas said, it's difficult to generalize, since they vary greatly. However, I've noticed that most are very data-driven and like to hear how you collect and utilize data to inform your teaching. They also tend to be big on teacher accountability and collaboration. Many also expect/require you to dedicate a lot of time outside of school hours to things like tutoring, advising, and (for high schools) college applications/preparation. So be prepared to talk about what you can provide for the school above and beyond teaching in the classroom (though, I suppose this would apply to interviews with any school - not just charters).