Charter Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kel9798, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kel9798

kel9798 Rookie

Feb 1, 2010

I just got an interview scheduled with Imagine Charter schools. I am so excited! However, I have no clue what the salary is like for a charter school. Does anyone have any idea. It is the Imagine charter school in Phoenix, AZ.

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 1, 2010

Salaries and job descriptions vary tremendously among charter schools. Just ask in your interview.

Good luck you! :)

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

There are a couple of Imagine schools near me. They do an excellent job of going into neighborhoods where the public schools are lacking and filling that void. They look exciting!

As for the salary, most charter schools are on the lower end than public schools due to a lack of collective bargaining, but it's a decent living wage. I'm about $5K lower than an average public school teacher would be, but the atmosphere of my charter school is a good tradeoff.

5. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Feb 1, 2010

kel9798,
    I´ve got no idea about the salary,
    but just wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK!!!! a big hug.

6. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Feb 1, 2010

I interviewed with Imagine two years ago in the midwest. They wanted to hire me, but could not offer me a salary that was even close to what I had been earning in my prior school. At the time I had 11 years of experience. They did not offer me a salary, but asked me what salary I would want. I gave them a figure that was at least $15,000 less than what I was earning in my prior job. They said I was just too expensive. It was a brand new Imagine school and they were hiring mostly 1st year teachers, which in my area earn somewhere around $30,000. I imagine they wanted to pay somewhat under that figure.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 1, 2010

That was kind of what I figured. Perhaps you interviewed at one of the Imagine schools in this area?

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2010

I heard that charter schools pay the same or more than public. So I was surprised when I interviewed last summer and was offered more than 20,000 below what I made at my previous job. When they found my previous salary, they assumed I wouldn't be interested. And I wasn't. :) I couldnt have afforded to take the reduction. You can ask in the interview "what is the salary for this position?". An honest question. Good luck!

9. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

kel9798, aside from the possible difference in salary, consider the difference in the employment relationship.

Teachers employed by traditional public school districts are protected by state personnel laws and, in many cases, by a collective bargaining agreement. Teachers in traditional public schools cannot be terminated at will.

Even though charter schools are funded by -- and (loosely) regulated by -- states, the teachers are usually not protected by state personnel laws. Collective bargaining is almost unheard of in charter school circles. A charter school teacher can be fired at any time, with or without cause. Control by parents is the hallmark of the charter school movement. One disadvantage is that a disgruntled parent may actually wield enough influence to have a teacher fired.

Before accepting a job offer from a charter school, scrutinize your employment contract carefully. Ask for a copy of the personnel policies and procedures manual (if there isn't one, the school is run by amateurs). If you live in a state with open government laws, go over the agendas and minutes of the last year's worth of board meetings, looking for personnel items.

Thanks to a tip from a colleague, I narrowly avoided accepting an offer from a charter school with a terrible turnover problem. In separate incidents over the course of one year, the school had summarily fired two teachers and its executive director. This would not have been a nice place to work. Your mileage may vary!

10. kel9798

kel9798 Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

Thank you for all the replies!
    I have done some research online and almost everything I find says that charter schools in AZ are all different when it comes to salary, but for the most part they are usually more then traditional schools. The school I am looking at is part of a large organization that has many schools throughout the US, so I am thinking it is probably not too bad.

I am empoyed right now, but my district is one of the lowest paying in the state. This year was my second year teaching and my district didn't give out any raise this year, so I make the same thing I made as a first year teacher. I know times are bad for everyone and my district isn't the only one, but they are talking about doing pay cuts for next year. I can barely pay my bills on what I make now, so I can't take a pay cutt! Anyway, that is one of the reasons I am looking for a new job.

I know the salary is something I can just ask about in the interview, but the interview isn't until March 1st! I can't wait that long! I am going to be thinking about it for a whole month.

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Feb 2, 2010

I interviewed with an Imagine Charter here and they offered me $10,000 LESS than the public school with minimal benefits. At that salary, it was the same amount as subbing. What really sealed the deal for me was they wanted me to work MUCH longer hours than the public schools and give students my home number just in case. I would definitely be asking about teacher expectations (hours, planning time, duties) before signing a contract.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

A AM SORRY I AM ANSWERING IN CAPS BUT I COULDN'T GET COLOR TO WORK. THERE IS A LOT OF MISINFORMATION ABOUT CHARTER SCHOOLS AND MANY ARE GREAT SCHOOLS. ALL THE ONES I KNOW ARE PUBLIC - NOT RUN BY CORPORATIONS WHICH MAY BE A DIFFERENT KETTLE OF FISH.

I AM SAD WHEN ALL CHARTERS ARE PAINTED WITH THE SAME BRUSH. PEOPLE ARE FLOCKING TO THE CHARTER SCHOOLS IN OUR AREA BECAUSE THEY PROVIDE HIGH QUALITY, INNOVATIVE, THOUGHFUL EDUCATION. SOUNDS LIKE THE CHARTERS SEVERAL PEOPLE MENTIONED ARE CORPORATE CHARTERS WHICH ARE MONEY-MAKING ENTERPRISES. CHECK OUT SCHOOLS CHARTERED THROUGH EXISTING SCHOOL DISTRICTS. THERE ARE WONDERFUL ONES OUT THERE.

13. guest_teacher

guest_teacher Rookie

Feb 3, 2010

scmom, I certainly didn't intend to paint all charter schools with the same brush. I made it clear that I was talking about most or many, not all.

You have misunderstood the legal status of charters -- especially here in California.

Unionization is the exception, not the rule, for charter schools. "[M]ost of the nation’s 4,600 charter schools operate without unions..." See, for example, Sam Dillon, "As Charter Schools Unionize, Many Debate Effect", NYT, July 26, 2009.

By state personnel laws, I mean the laws applicable either to all civil servants, or specifically to teachers. [I was writing for someone in a different state, so I tried to use general terminology. Do not confuse personnel laws, which govern public-sector employment, from (much weaker) labor laws, which govern private-sector employment.] In California, the relevant personnel laws are contained in Sections 44800 through 45601.5 of the Education Code. California charter schools that serve as employers of record are exempt. No legislated tenure, dismissal protections, reemployment rights, minimum starting salary, etc., etc.

This is false. In California, as in other states, charter schools are largely exempt from state education law. Like direct parent involvement, legal/regulatory freedom is one of the drivers behind the charter school movement. To quote the California Department of Education, "Charter schools are generally exempt from California State laws governing school districts, except where specifically imposed by California Education Code (EC) Section 47610." Section 47610 contains a relatively short list of state laws applicable to charters.

I am not saying that charters are bad schools. I am saying that, in general, they offer fewer protections for teachers.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2010

We could argue at length, but our charter principals would definitely disagree with you about many aspects, especially accountability. But, it is important to understand that each individual charter can be completely different. In the situations in our district, they write their charters very specifically to provide all these rights to their employees. That is why it is very important to read the charter documents if you are going to be involved and to know who is in charge. Our charters are part of the school district but independent in their decision making but they are accountable to the school district, a superintendant who supervises their practice, an arm of the county office of education and the state. We test, submit all the reports the district does, are accredited, etc. etc. Unfortunately, some charters are started by people who have good ideas but not the experience, backing, etc. to pull it off and may be too independent. There are a lot of myths about charters our principal just wrote an article about. I will have to see if he posted it online.

15. kel9798

kel9798 Rookie

Feb 4, 2010

SCMOM~
    I would to read that article if you find it online! Thanks for the information :)

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 4, 2010

The charter schools here in San Diego seem to pay a lot more than traditional schools. I will be starting as a classroom assistant at one location next week, and I looked up their teacher salary. It is $5-6000 more than the highest traditional school I've seen in the area. Maybe it's only this one charter school, but they have 20 locations here.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 4, 2010

My charter school offers a service I haven't seen in most school districts, so I'm happy to deal with a slightly lower paycheck in order to provide education to students that might otherwise drop out. It also gives me the comfort of teaching in my PJs (I really need to get dressed today).

18. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Feb 6, 2010

Catnfiddle-

I am in Indianapolis....

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 6, 2010

Good luck tomorrow and go COLTS!:thumb:

20. isthisrob

isthisrob Rookie

Feb 21, 2010