charter schools and private schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by seesee, Aug 15, 2007.

1. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

HI,ALL,

I am new to the education system, and i have a question about charter school and private school. are the charter schools public schools? and how to find the job in the charter and private schools?
    i know the public school post their openings. and is it very low pay in these 2 kinds of schools? if i can't find a job in public schools, i will try private and charter's. i really do not want to sub.

Thanks.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 15, 2007

It depends on the area, but all of the charter schools in my area are public schools. They are funded by the state and must follow all of the state regulations (licensed teachers, standardized tests, etc). The charter schools in my area also tend to post their openings in the newspaper and on their websites just like the regular public schools do. Private schools don't seem to advertise their openings quite as much, though.

Again, this differs from place to place, but where I live the charter schools pay just about the same as the regular public schools. The private schools (which near me are almost all religious schools) pay much, much less. Last year I taught in a private school and was paid about 1/3 of what the public schools pay and this year I'm working in a charter school and making more than most of the public schools in the area.

4. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

thank you so much. it is so valuable for me, because tomorrow i am going to find some charter schools. i hope they are still looking for math teachers. Hi, how did you find your job? newspaper? or just call each schools? and most importantly, are the charter schools under district public school administration? i do not like that. they do not have a fair condition for us ORDINARY people.

thanks again.

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 15, 2007

My school posted the positions in the newspaper back in June. They had quite a few openings so I applied and was called for an interview. We have our own administration and although it's a public school, we're not affiliated with the district public schools.

6. storyh

storyh Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I am employed by a charter school in Arkansas. The way it was described to me by the principal was "the best of a private school and the best of a public school" put together. They get some funding from the state but no federal money. The pay is comparable with public schools in the area. What I have gathered is there is more freedom and flexibility in how one teaches as long as they meet the frameworks. The more creative the better. Also, charter schools tend to have a more rigorous college prep curriculum. I found my job on a website where schools in the state post job openings. Hope this helps.

7. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Hi, all,

I am going to an interview in a private school next monday. anybody knows how much i probably get paid? and can we negotiate?i am in florida. they said it is half teaching+ half management. this is my first time for a private school. if i can't find a public school position, i have no choice. i will be teaching high school math.

thank you.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

There is no way to know about the pay level for private schools. Each is different. You can assume generally that the higher the tuition, the better the likelihood for decent pay.

My school will need a middle school math teacher starting in January. It is a small private school in West Palm Beach.

9. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

In private, I was paid 24K LESS. In charter, I got paid same as county salary PLUS, for not using the med. insurance, I got 300 back per month....

10. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Upsadaisy & mommaruthie ,

Thank you so much for the information. I am in broward county, and because i am lack of experience, I have not got a job yet. so i am going to try charter and private, but i guess it is a little late. most of the schools have already finished hiring? yesterday Miami public school district office called me for an interview. I don't know what will happen, and you know that will be a long distance driving if i am hired.

I hope we can keep in touch, maybe you guys can help me out. I just moved in USA for less than 2 years.

Upsadaisy, where is that private school located? how much do you think they can pay for this math teacher's position? do they hire someone who has almost no experience?

Thank you all very much.

11. Teach07

Teach07 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Charter schools are public school, they are just privately ran. It can be by a charter management organization or by a private group, etc. They receive dollars per child just like the state would pay a public school. Some charters pay more than public schools. I used to work for one (Lighthouse Academies) that paid more (starting out) than the public schools. I've also worked for another one (NHA-National Heritage Academies) that paid far below. These are both national charter orgs that have several schools in many states. The professional development and curriculum training I would say is better at these schools but overall, I returned to public schools for more security, the union, and resources. I think a really strong charter school, however is much better to start off in if you are new to the profession. They prepared me well for when I returned to the public schools.

12. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

We don't have charter schools here in Australia but independent/private schools pay the same if not more than public schools in my state. I haven't come across any independent school (including catholic schools) that pays less than public.

13. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Thank you all.

I just found out our county school district posted new openings for next week, there are still 16 openings for math. I wonder how the school arrange the class if they don't have math teacher in the class. do they use a sub or what?

i really don't mind working in a charter school, but so far I have not found one opening yet. maybe i didn't get the right place.

thanks again.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2007

Seesee, I have no idea about the pay. Without direct teaching experience, they would consider related work history and your degree. It is near the West Palm Beach airport.

15. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

thanks.

I have been an engineer for more than 10 years. i could continue my engineering career, it's just been too long, and i want to change. I don't know about teaching, but being an engineer sometimes is a little stressful.

Thanks, i don't want to give up the public school yet, if monday i am offered the private school job, i want to ask for a few days before i accept. and once i accept it, can i quit in the middle? do i have to sigh a contract?

thanks again

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 18, 2007

Most schools do have you sign contracts. It is very difficult for the kids when teachers have to leave in the middle of the year. I think you should sign a contract only if you intend to stay. That's just my opinion.

17. seesee

seesee Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Thank you.

can we add the private teaching to our teaching experience if we want to apply for public schools later?

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Yes, but it may or may not count toward your years of experience.