Charter School

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Beth561, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Hey, Can anyone tell me about how charter schools work? Are they part of the public school system and do we get the same benefits? I have an interview at one today and can't seem to find any information on how they compare/contrast to traditional schools.
    (Where is my venn? :) )

3. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 22, 2008

Charter schools are public schools when it comes to the public. Students don't pay to go to them. These schools are independently run and this means that they have their own rules such as school hours, school year, and/or pay. These school generally don't have to offer the same benefits as regular public schools do.

Based on what I've read, many charter schools generally offer lower pay (some of them really low) compared to public schools and also require longer hours of work with longer school year. This is not the case with all of them because I've heard of some that pay more than regular public schools.

4. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I work at a charter school and the pay is the same as in the local public school. The school year starts Aug. 25th and ends in May. Our woork hours are 7:45-4:00...just like the local public schools.

5. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the info. I went to the interview-I love the school and its mission. I was asked if I had any questions and I said no although I did want to ask what they were looking for, what the curriculum would be, what grade I would teach, and the salary/benefits. The Principal asked me two or three times if I had any questions and I kept saying no as if I understood it all already. I know he was probably expecting some questions because when I finally said what are the hours,he seemed relieved. Otherwise, it went really well especially because I had my portfolio with me. It was informative as to what I have done as well as a security blanket for me. I hope they offer me this job.

6. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 22, 2008

I'm saying a prayer and keeping my fingers crossed for you :2up:

7. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Thank you so much. The more I think of it, the more I realize that I should have answered differently and elaborated more. I think if this interview was a norm referenced test than I may have done well enough to go on to a second interview(if they even plan on giving them) but if it was a criterion based test, I may have fumbled a bit too much. They were mostly smiling and nodding except for the principal who was staying on task. Do you know how I should address the thank you note or should it be a note to each of them?

8. gossamer

gossamer Rookie

Jul 22, 2008

I think it should be a note to each of them. Good luck, I hope it pans out.

9. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Do I say the same thing to each of them?
    You know, thank you for your time etc. and I know that I will fit in well blah,blah blah.

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2008

11. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Wow, Master Pre-K. Thanks, that thread really gave me an understanding of how charter schools work. And now that it has been 9 hours since the interview without a phone call, I won't be so disappointed if I don't get the position. The other good thing that came out of today is that it gave me the confidence to apply to high schools. Up until now I was staying with middle schools because I was comfortable, now I realize that I could do the upper grades just as well.

12. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

:help:p.S. Master Pre-K-is there a thread that will help me write those thank you notes? Or one that will do it for me?:lol::lol:
    Love these smiley guys!

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2008

Why certainly! But you gotta make a draft first. No fair making us do all the work. Write it out, and we will edited it for you!

Ok, here is one...

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=61044

14. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

Wow, Now I have no excuse for not writing them.
    Master Pre-K, please move to South Florida,get certified in middle school ed and become my children's teacher. And mine as well.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

Thank you Beth,

But as Glenda The Good Witch told Dorothy...

You had the power all along...

If you believe that you are a good teacher, you can provide everything that you feel your kids aren't getting.

And...you can see where you need help, and how to improve.

That is what makes this forum such a great place. Those who help others really help themselves as well!