Charter School

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by lexyshley, Jul 11, 2012.

1. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Jul 11, 2012

Hi,

I am new to teaching and will be teaching at a charter school. I will be teaching the first grade IB program. Anyone have ideas on classroom set up? Should I have a word wall? Where do I find high frequency words? Any nd all help will be greatly appreciated!! :unsure:

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 11, 2012

Google List of High Frequency words. If you have a word wall ideally you will be including current vocab.

4. Kinderfriend

Kinderfriend Rookie

Jul 13, 2012

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 15, 2012

Most IB schools have specific things that they want you to have posted in your classroom. I have a word wall but I also need a PYP board to display student questions about the unit, and I need to have the student profile and attitudes posted. If you haven't received your "PYP Making It Happen" yet here is a version of it online. http://www.uplands.org/UPLANDS/sites/default/files/curriculum/primary/pdf/2CB5B8C7d01.pdf There is a curriculum annex at the back that discusses what each age group should learn if your school follows the IB curriculum instead of a local or state curriculum. The hardest part is learning all the lingo and acronyms.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2012

Congrats on the job. I think having lots of words on display is important for those little ones.

7. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Jul 25, 2012

Thank you :)

8. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

Thanks!
    :)

UOTE=janney;1640458]Most IB schools have specific things that they want you to have posted in your classroom. I have a word wall but I also need a PYP board to display student questions about the unit, and I need to have the student profile and attitudes posted. If you haven't received your "PYP Making It Happen" yet here is a version of it online. http://www.uplands.org/UPLANDS/sites/default/files/curriculum/primary/pdf/2CB5B8C7d01.pdf There is a curriculum annex at the back that discusses what each age group should learn if your school follows the IB curriculum instead of a local or state curriculum. The hardest part is learning all the lingo and acronyms.[/QUOTE]

9. lexyshley

lexyshley Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

Thank you!

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

You definitely want a word wall that they have easy access to. It could/should be near their writing area as well so they can easily check their word walls and include them in their writing. I always do a math wall and science wall as well (well, last year I didn't teach science since we switched for math). I find that using your walls as resources for the students is a great way to enhance learning. I would also encourage you to rotate what you have on the walls. When you are finished with the unit or study, replace them with new words, or activities (I will sometimes put interactive activities on the walls for the kids to do).