charter school vent :(

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by meri78, Nov 1, 2005.

1. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Nov 1, 2005

hi everyone-as you may have guessed from my subject line i am in serious need of a vent!! :( advice/suggestions are always welcome!! so here goes-i graduated from college 2 years ago in hopes of finding a "good" teaching position. "good" around here usually includes a nice suburban district w/nice suburban resources and good teachers to work with. well low and behold, upon graduating i was alerted to the fact that the job market STINKS in my area and that i would basically be lucky to find anything the first year. so i taught head start my first year, and have taught first grade for the last two years at two different charter schools. i keep telling myself i should feel lucky to even have a job (many people around here sub for YEARS to no avail) but i am so sick of being stuck at a crappy charter school!! i am sorry to all the people out there who work at charter schools and like it. i do have to say that i now love the people i work with, and my kids this year are GREAT. the problem is that everytime i have an issue that i need help with i feel like there is no one available but me. case in point: i currently have a wonderful peach of a child who enjoys throwing tantrums every day. of course i ignore these to the best of my ability but now she is beginning to yell things such as "i'm gonna burn down the school" & "i want to kill all the teachers." so i now have no choice but to involve the administration. my asst. principal suggested a meeting w/her parent but i know this is going to do nothing b/c mom is so not involved! she never returns any phone calls, notes, etc., and i just know the meeting is going to be a joke-yet i agreed. i just feel like if i were in a public school i would have more support in terms of special ed. professionals, counselors (we have none), etc. can someone please tell me if i'm right or wrong?? thanks for all your help! -meri

3. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Nov 1, 2005

I'm not much help...but I have to agree, maybe at a public school at least you would have some support. I hate that you are having such a time with this child. I know I would be frustrated too. It sounds lame, but hang in there and I will be thinking of you!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 2, 2005

These threats are the reportable kind - they involve danger to self and others. Remind your admin that you are all liable. I sympathasize with your frustration. There should be psychological help available for her. Keep us posted.