charter school teachers: how happy are you?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ms.T, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Hey guys and gals!

This past year was my first year at a charter school. I am very happy to have a job at the grade level that I like. There are many good things about my job. Also, I know firsthand that jobs in my area are very scarce. However, I am really bummed out that my school (even going into my 2nd year, with a 5% increase) pays $10k less than other public school districts right near my school.

How are you feeling being at a charter? Do you get bummed about the pay? Are you putting out resumes and hoping to get into a public school district, or are you planning on staying where you're at for a while?

3. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I have been at a Charter school for five years now and the pay is definitely a bummer. My school is in its eigth year and its fifth principal and every other year there is a huge turnover. However for me at this point the positives outweigh the negatives but I do plan to look around next year.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2007

Ms. T,

What state are you in?

5. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

I'm going to be starting my first year of teaching this year at a Charter school. I have had the hardest time finding a job (I teach Secondary Social Studies) and without experience, this is the best offer I have gotten.

I'm a bit nervous myself about this. My family seems to think this may not be the right choice for me, however... I just want to teach!!

I'm hoping this will be a good way to get that experience. I really like the school I was hired at and the principal is great. It will be eye-opening, I'm sure.

The pay here is very comparable at the charter schools to our public schools. Other than not being a union employee, I'm not sure what the downsides will be.

6. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

MissFrizzle, I am in MI.

I do like the teachers and the kids. Some of the families are questionable - let's just say that the way this school was formed makes it a magnet for parents who have problems with lots of things at school. But there are weird parents everywhere.

We also have a HUGE turnover, mostly due to the low pay.

KatieC - it is really good to just get in and teach. It is super to get experience. I don't think there is anything innately wrong with Charter schools, mine just pays poorly. If yours pays well, then HOORAY! :)