Charter School Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, May 20, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

May 20, 2009

Well I am super excited because I got a call today about an interview at a local charter school. This just lifts my spirits, last year I only had one interview (I wasn't aggressive enough) and though the person told me I was a great interviewee they needed to go w/someone w/more experience. The job search is looking up...and I just wanted to say I read this board all the time and I don't post as much as I should. But everyone keep your head up, hiring season is upon us.....

Anyways......

So of course I am doing my charter school research and looking at interview questions. Can anyone think of any interview questions they may ask me or questions for me to ask at the end that may be specific to charter schools? My only knowledge is going to be the schools website(which isn't much) and wikipedia's entry on charter schools.:haha:

3. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 20, 2009

They may ask why you want to work at the charter as opposed to public school. I have interviewed at a charter once but they were in an emergency situation to hire, they did not ask me that one, but I have heard that is a favorite. You might want to ask what kind of contract you would have. Charters are usually year to year and I don't think you can get tenure at one. The ones around here do not offer tenure. Retirement is also different. I might ask about pay to see how their pay scale is, and ask about benefits. Some of them try to offer attractive benefit packages since they might not pay as much as district. I know the one close to me is very comparable to district, but some of the others are not. What grade are you interviewing for? Good luck!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say, good luck!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 20, 2009

You might want to research why the school decided to seek a charter. If it's for a reason other than, "there was money there," find out what makes this particular school unique and tailor your responses towards that. Most charter schools have that information on their web page.

Good luck! If you find a school that serves a purpose, it's a rewarding experience.

6. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

May 20, 2009

They have two openings, one for a 1st grade and one for a 5th. I think it's a charter school b/c the local public schools don't have the best rep (i'm guessing). I know they have one teacher per grade with around 18 students. Also looking at their stats from the IN department of education it looks as though many teachers are young...

But yeah definetly thinking about asking about benefits. I'm not too worried about tenure or anything. I really just want a job. And the local public schools are dealing with budget cuts n such. Oh and a close friend I work with at the YMCA during the summer is interviewing too...in an ideal world she'd get one spot and I'd get the other haha!

7. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

May 20, 2009

Oh and since there is two open positions do you think they will ask me which I prefer? Seeing as 1st and 5th are very different grades I would think they want to tailor some questions for each grade.I really do have a preference for 1st but I would take 5th, and would be fine with it.

8. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 20, 2009

They might ask which you think you'd prefer and you can say "I'd prefer 1st but if you gave me 5th I'd be happy too because I like both!" Good luck and let us know how it goes. I have an interview for Friday. So I know what you are feeling!

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 21, 2009

Do they have a website? You can also try googling the school name and see what you get. Good luck!