charter montessori

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by mommaruthie, Oct 25, 2003.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 25, 2003

AJK want to open a montessori charter school? I know in the year 2005 ALL public schools will have prek programs and I would love to open a charter montessori in WEST broward. I have a proposal of one opening in Gainsville and see a need for an alternative to traditional ed. I dont know yet the process to secure funds but I work at a charter and will approach the bookeeper on the procedures...

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 3, 2003

charter investor meeting

Today is to be the first meeting that we are having about the charter plans. I will be at work and The parent committee is meeting with investors today basicly our goal is to find out if we should be public charter or private charter. This is really an exciting day. I will keep you all posted.

4. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 8, 2003

How about hiring me to teach there???? lol

Eileen

5. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 8, 2003

parent committee

I was asked to create a classroom inventory for costs of materials (the investors know only of textbook expenses and want to make sure they are completely comprehending what investment will be needed) I contacted and researched LESS popular montessori businesses (neinhaus, gorgonnzola sp?, and bruins are well reputable but SOOOO expensive.) I was trying to find well constructed and affordable USA companies or foreign companies with a USA connection. Anyhow, found several possibilities and need to create a room expense sheet for EACH room of design. It may be more affordable to create a Cultural Studies Laboratory for science and social studies to be in ONE room as would Language and Mathematics be in an alternate room of their own each. Dont know details on the practical life and sensorial areas.The kids would rotate thru the environments in a day I am hoping to combine two grades k-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-7 and have 60-80 kids PER combo grade. k-1 have 60-80 kids 2-3 have 60-80... Then to have 80-100 preschoolers! I have plans for an indoor athletic building and amazing music room on the same wing as an art studio. I have intentions of creating a upper grade practical life room for wood work, sewing, etc...

I will let you know the status, now that I am not with the parent who is spearheading this, she was with me yesterday when i told the kids although she was the only parent i had told the thursday I found out! My goal is 2005 to be in operation and I will definitely let you know if it pans out.

6. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 9, 2003

That is a huge undertaking!!! How do you do all this, work,plus have kids??????? I do not think I could have taught and had the 4 kids I did. I am forever thankful I was a stay at home Mom. We made it on a blue collar income and my home care care money.

Eileen

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 9, 2003

7 years ago it all began

I had been driving home from work and was pregnant and having a surge of what ifs: what if I never go back into the classroom- what would I do with my creativity, what if I opened a store. I was driving for fourty minutes and wrote my ideas down. Just writing them down was theraputic. But one day, My sister would marry this great guy who happens to be a vp loan officer of a bank. It was he who said create a business plan and then see what funds you can get in terms of capital investors and then loans with that. I got goal oriented again and worked on it some more. Within the last seven years this dream was tweaked but never amounted to anything other then theraputic.

Now for the spiritual part: I have been so blessed in my life in the last seven years that I know God has been watching over us. Not always dealing us with only good things but never the less the tests were valuable to learn from. I can only tell you that this boy in my class who is very short and that makes him cute but its that he looks like my son- was doombed to be absolutely adored by me no matter what. I developed a relationship with his mother and she asked me why do i stay at this school and put up with all the nonsense? I mentioned the what if scenario... what if I dont work here, then I seek another school that Doesnt have these problems- what if they all do have some of the problems and what degree of prblems would i be willing to work there (isnt that why I stay at the school I worked at?) She asked me for the proposal of another charter montessori school that i happened to have received as a guide for the language of a proposal.I researched the Florida montessori schools and the local area montessori facilities and provided her with the data that basicly showed that this philosophy exists while although mostly in private school, there are several in dade and one in broward that are public school montessori. She took the proposal and info to an investor. (I havent any clue WHO the investor is nor do I know how far this mother has gone) I know that G-D was intending for me to have met her and that she is going to follow up even without me being her son's teacher- and will let me know what has evolved.

I am able to do this with the technology that i have and DSL allows me to search as quick as clicking on a t.v. remote to change channels. I am at a web site faster then i can turn the page on a book. My job is also my hobby. Atoz is the only site I frequent. I look at the AMS and moteaco but once a month if at all. I have been so TRADITIONAL this year, HATING it, but doing it. and I am sooooooo thrilled to be going to the other campus which is where I can still be traditional ala montessori. I truly have been blessed.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 9, 2003

This sounds very exciting. Have you ever run a business before? What role will you play, teacher or administrator? Will you pay district wages? Keep us posted.

9. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Nov 9, 2003

wow..that sent chills up my spine. If it is meant to be...you know it will. If not..you will have learned much from it.

Eileen

10. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Nov 9, 2003

role

I assumed I was designing a utopian environment that I wanted to teach in. I had expected to be in the classroom but may need to be more of a minor administrative, montessori laison or lead teacher. If you are interested in reading what I have put together so far I would love to share- and if you want to dream a little dream, write it down to add for anything i have left off.

There are fine details definitely left off but I SEE them!

THANKS to Amanda and all you teacher chat addicts for being there when I was needing you most and for allowing me to share my experiences and ideas with you. Most of all you have been extremely therapeutic to me. This is my one thousand post and I realize I am TRULEY THE ADDICT! (((((HUGS)))) for the years of anonymity and friendship... Ruth

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 9, 2003

Ruth-

I'm happy to read what you have and see if I have ideas, but I only know about Montessori what I've read through this board. :) But if you'd like more ideas, send it my way. :)