Charleston job market?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by frtrd, Feb 23, 2014.

1. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

What's the job market for middle/high school teachers in Charleston? I'd have certification in English, ESL, and History.

And on a side note -- any opinions on whether it's a good place for an outdoorsy person? It doesn't seem to get too cold in the winter but I wonder whether it would look pretty still (whether there would still be any leaves on the trees, etc.)

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2014

Charleston WV or Charleston SC?

4. frtrd

frtrd Rookie

Feb 25, 2014

Oops sorry -- SC :)

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2014

I don't know either market, but I thought I'd ask. I usually assume SC, but since it says you are from VA, WV made sense.

Have you looked into the process for SC? It has been 8 years since I researched, but at the time, you had to get referral forms filled out by references to even apply.

Good luck.

6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 25, 2014

I am on the other side of the state from Charleston so I don't know how much help I can be but I do know of some people who teach near Charleston and seem to like it. I would research the schools first. Charleston has a lot of schools in its district and just like anywhere with several schools, I am sure some are good and others bad. I would advise you also look at some of the neighboring counties to Charleston. I have heard some great things about some of the schools in Berkeley and Dorchester counties to be specific.

Charleston has wonderful weather. I used to live just a few hours directly north of there and Charleston always had warmer weather by 5-10 degrees. I can't say I remember if there were leaves on the trees or not but I have always enjoyed the city when I have visited.

Good luck with your search!

7. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Feb 25, 2014

Getting my SC teaching certificate was no problem but Giraffe is right that almost all, if not all, schools require you to have a referral form filled out by references online before applying. There is one state wide application that requires this and I believe now most schools have their own online form that also requires online references. I know during my last job hunt many of these individual district forms were run by the same company and they would transfer a lot of your information, however I don't know if references were one thing they would transfer from one district to the next. (I don't think they were but I could be wrong)