Charity Activity

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, Aug 19, 2010.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 19, 2010

So I work at a Title I school and most of my kids receive a lot of gifts from the school and community organizations every year which is great. However, I've noticed that there is a sense of entitlement sometimes like they just come to expect gifts to be handed to them on a regular basis and there are hardly any thank yous. So, what I want to do is get them involved in some of the giving for once. I just saw a school that raised money through a bake sale to donate to Nepal for people with cataracts and thought "wow what a cool idea." I think it would be good to show my students that other people in the world need their help too! I know my students have the ability to raise money. Every year we raise enough money to send all our fifth graders to Disney World so I know we can raise money to help out others in the world. I'm just not sure what exactly to do. Has anybody ever gotten their class involved in raising money for a good cause? I want to take this throughout the year and really get my kids invested and excited about it. One year we did a canned food drive and my kids were sooo into it but it only lasted a week. I saw how empowered they felt knowing that they had the ability to help others in need and I think it would be great to empower them all year long.

So, does anybody have suggestions? Please let me know if you've ever done anything like this before.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 19, 2010

My church always has the 5th and 6th graders do service projects as part of their Sunday School classes. The kids, at least initially, are in charge of choosing a charity or group to help, figuring out how they want to raise money or collect whatever it is, and doing the publicity- which includes posters around the building as well as announcements in church. They do a GREAT job and take it really seriously.

The past couple of years, they've chosen the same things...
    fall/winter- making fleece blankets for our homeless shelter (we house them on Tuesday nights from OCtober through March or so)... they did the no-sew blankets, so they asked for either money to buy fleece, donations of fleece, or completed blankets, and they asked for volunteers to make them on a morning during winter break. They made a whole bunch of them.

Usually their spring charity of choice is Nothing But Nets, which provides mosquito netting for people in Africa to hang over thier beds so they don't get malaria. They host a free throw shooting contest called 10-10-1. It's $10 for 10 free throws to save 1 life (the netting costs $10 per net). They award some sort of prize for the winners in each age division. They do a great job with this one and usually raise quite a bit of money.

Don't know if that helped, but maybe it will give you some inspiration? I commend you for wanting to help your students understand the broader picture ;)

4. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 19, 2010

The malaria nets sound like a great idea! I think it's something my students would really get into and I think they could understand the need. Thanks for the tip.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

Keep the ideas coming. How about something for the younger grades!?

6. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 19, 2010

My kids are first graders but I think I can find a simplified way to do things. Anybody who has ever done it with little ones, please let me know! I've only had second graders in the past so I'm not exactly sure what first graders are capable of.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 19, 2010

Well maybe if I really get to do it this year, I'll blog all about it!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

As part of one of our math units on numbers up to 1,000 in Investigations, we usually do a service project where we collect 1,000 coins (usually takes a few weeks) and the kids choose a charity to donate them to. We also do a contest to see who can guess closest as to what amount of money we raised.

This year, the kids helped me write a letter to send with our donation. They all signed their first name on the letter along with me and my co-teacher. I took the coins to the Penny Arcade at our local bank and then wrote out a check for the amount. The head of the organization sent a letter back to us...I made a copy for each child and framed the original. :)

Just an idea... :)

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 20, 2010

When my middle son was a newborn, and during one of his many hospital admissions, a Brownie troop delivered handmade stuffed animals to all the kids on the floor. Stuart, who was only a month old at the time, received a rather, um, unprofessionally made, rabbit, with no eyes, no face at all really. Anyway, because of health concerns, two of the adults did the actual delivering, taking pictures when allowed, and sharing pictures of the girls making the stuffed critters.

I know the little stuffed critter made my day, and judging from the reaction from the older kids on the floor, it made their day too. Stuart still has that rabbit. It's been through many "operations" because it's fallen apart a few times (understandable, since a 7 or 8 year old made it), but I am NOT allowed to get rid of the thing. Stuart, btw, is 9 now.

Another hospital story...another group of kids organized a toy drive and "Santa" came by the hospital, this time, when my little one was in the PICU (again) over Christmas. Again, my child was just a baby, but the older kids in the unit were thrilled beyond belief that Santa came to visit. Again, the adults had pictures of the kids at the various activities. They'd named themselves "Santa's Helpers", and raised money and got donations of toys to deliver to the children's hospital.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 20, 2010

How about something for a senior center? Even hand made cards make them happy. I remember my mom telling me about the nice boy scout who talked with her one afternoon.

One year the Home Ec club took Christmas Trees to some seniors who had limited income.

12. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Aug 20, 2010

Rotary Project

First of all, let me heartily endorse your goal. It's not healthy for kids to grow up feeling entitled (or powerless). We had our kids help a local Rotary club last year in a project that sent books to Africa. The kids collected or donated used books in good condition. They then agreed to donate five cents towards the shipping costs of the books each time they purchased a snack at school. It was really rewarding to see the kiddos learn to give.

13. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 20, 2010

Please look into the Wounded Warriors program. Each year our school collects coins for this most worthy cause. These dedicated men and women do without so many items when they return from their tour of duties. Our fourth grade classes even make quilts to send to them. Younger students can do counting and sorting games with the coins. You would also be amazed at how many parents send in their own donations. Each student also writes a card when we send in the final donation.

14. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 20, 2010

15. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Aug 21, 2010

Wow! There are so many awesome ideas. I think I'll pick a couple to show to my class and maybe we'll vote on one? This will be very interesting.