Charging to play sports in your district?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SPECIALEDMAN, Jun 24, 2010.

1. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jun 24, 2010

Beginning this school year due to budget cuts students wishing to participate in sports will have to pay $100.00 at the high school level and $50.00 at the middle school level in my district.

I hate that this important aspect of education will be taken away from so many of our students, and it’s ironic that the majority of our really good athletes also come from low income homes.
    :(

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 24, 2010

Can you fundraise or ask the booster club for donations?

4. SPECIALEDMAN

SPECIALEDMAN Companion

Jun 24, 2010

I hope that our booster club will help with some type of scholarship program. I’m on the booster board so hopefully it can be worked out.

Athletics may not be valued by many teachers but athletics can be the reason a kid gets out of bed and goes to school, it can be the reason he/she studies for that test because of the grade requirements and until you see this motivation in action you don’t understand its influence.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2010

At my daughter's high school (like most in my area) the students pay $25./sport which helps cover the cost of the uniform and buses to away games. We also pay a one-time fee of $20 that covers the Athletic Banquet.

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 24, 2010

Not yet, but I do wonder if it'll happen in my children's district. I don't think it's in the plans for where I work and I sincerely hope not. I know for a fact that several of my students in the fall only came to class and passed my class due to being on the football team.

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2010

My district charges fees for everything. The families who are on free and reduced lunch are exempt.

8. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Jun 24, 2010

My school does not charge for sports, but they did have to cut 2 teams this year to reduce costs.

9. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 24, 2010

My high school (public) used to charge us to attend football "camp," which was held at the school itself. (And I have to admit, that was more than a few presidential administrations ago....LOL!!)

$50 for the "privilege" of rolling in the dirt and sweating like pigs during "three-a-days" for three weeks from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. in August.

I think it's fairly commonplace anymore. In fact, I can't think of a high school team in my entire area that doesn't charge the kids to participate. Any budget money from the schools or districts is only enough for coaches salaries, bus transportation, officials and game balls. If they want warm-up shirts, team gym bags, or something along those lines, they have to cover it themselves.

I'm not saying that I like it, but I think that's just the way it is now.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 24, 2010

That just stinks. People pay taxes in a school district to pay for school services and sports are a vital part of an education.

11. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

Many schools in this area have Pay to Play fees for not only sports but also music and other extracurricular activities. I was on one local school's website and the HS sports varied from $250 to like $800. :eek: I believe the fees cover the staff costs along with buses and possibly facility rental.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 24, 2010

In my state, most districts charge a fee to play sports. It is generally in the 100+ dollar range. The fee can be waved for students whose families cannot afford to pay such a high cost.

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 24, 2010

Fees were charged for sports and band when I was in HS. I didn't realize that anybody did it differently. Of course, scholarships were available for those who could not afford the fees.

14. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jun 24, 2010

Fees are charged here in AZ and they're being raised even higher this year.

15. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Jun 25, 2010

The athletic fee at our daughter's public high school is $300 per year/student. The bus fee is $360 per student. It is getting ridiculous, and it saddens me to think how many kids can't play sports because mom and dad can't afford it...

16. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 25, 2010

It's been that way in the high school I grew up in since before I was a student there. I think it's pretty common.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

We don't have that here in TX, at least not in the district I went to school in or the districts I've worked in. We did make an observation yesterday during summer school lunch...that most costs could be cut in transportation. We have about 20 buses that come to the school to pick up students...but only 1-2 students get onto one bus. Why not save money and take a smaller bus or suburban?

18. glen

glen Companion

Jun 25, 2010

We pay $300 per sport at the high school level. I think it was $200 at the middle school.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

Wow! My daughter would have to seriously reconsider her desire to participate in almost every sport there is: basketball, soccer, volleyball, cross-country, track, snowboard racing (she would do rugby and badminton as well if they didn't conflict with soccer and basketball).