Characterization Ideas?

Discussion in 'High School' started by cdale, Mar 7, 2008.

1. cdale

cdale Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

What fun things do you do to reinforce characterization in novels?

In the past, I have done quotes posters, magazine collages of thoughts & feelings, and a q&a paper toss where the kids write down a question for a character, crumple the paper, toss it into the middle of the room, then pick up a random piece of paper and answer the question as that character (they love throwing paper around the room!!).

They've already done a lot of quote analyses of the characters, so I'm just looking for a fun, light activity to put their understanding to use.

3. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

We did a diary activity that the kids really got into. They'd pick a character from our current novel and start keeping a diary from their perspective. They'd do a few short entries a week as we moved through the book. They could write anything they felt their character was thinking or feeling about what was happening around them in the book. At the end, we had them each share an entry or two with the class. It was funny what they'd write about- some of them were super serious and some of them were about how the other characters secretly annoyed them or who they had a secret crush on in the book... it was fair game as long as they stayed within the boundaries of the plot and stayed completely in character. It was fun and we're going to use it again for another novel this semester.

4. Newtoarkansas

Newtoarkansas New Member

Mar 8, 2008

Body Biography

My students love to do life size body biographies.

5. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

Mar 9, 2008

Another idea is to use a Venn diagram to compare and contrast 2 or 3 characters.