Character Theme

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Smalls04, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Smalls04

Smalls04 Rookie

Aug 11, 2007

Hey everyone! I'm kind of new to this forum stuff. I am doing a character education theme. Some of the characteristics that I'm doing are friendship, cooperation, self control, etc. I have one bulletin board with all of these listed with cute little stick kids on them. I need to do another bulletin board and I don't know what to do to tie it into my theme. Also, I was wondering if anyone had an idea for outside of my room to welcome the kids that also ties in. I would love some ideas. :)

3. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

maybe you can set up a bulletin board to show "exemplars" of you characteristics. The first week of school when you discuss these traits you can have the kids role play or act out little skits (you can give them scenarios or they can make them up) and take pictures of them in action. Then maybe they can come up with a few sentence to describe how they displayed self control or whatever their trait was. Hand up the pictures (make sure every kid is in there) with thier group writting pieces to go with it. That would also be cute for your open house/back to school night for parents to see, and kids always love seeing pics of themselves!

4. Smalls04

Smalls04 Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

Great idea, thanks!

5. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Something I just thought of when I read your post:
    Maybe you could briefly go through all of the traits first, then put each one on a board. Then take a picture of a kid (preferably in the act) when you see them doing something that exhibits the trait. You could write what it was about next to the pic.
    For example:

Courage

(Pic of a student) Piece of paper says: X was brave because he raised his hand in the math lesson and said he didn't understand.

Kind of like a spotlight on student good behavior. Maybe I'll do this! :)