Chapter Books

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jodie.m, May 21, 2008.

1. jodie.m

jodie.m New Member

May 21, 2008

I teach all day Kindergarten in Australia, which is 4 and 5 year olds. For relaxation time after we have lunch we read stories. I am wanting to start reading chapter books to them at this time of day. I am was hoping for some advice on books to read, ones that they will enjoy and that will keep them interested. I was thinking of starting with the Magic Faraway tree by Enid Blyton. Does anyone have ideas for any other chapter books I could read?
    Thanks for your help,

Jodie

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

May 21, 2008

Personally, I wouldn't start chapter books at this age, I'm assuming they're still in preschool? Why not read a series of picture books by the same author? Try Pamela Allen or Mem Fox and find a link between the books. I think little kids need pictures and more concrete narrative structures.

Just my opinion!

4. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

May 21, 2008

some of my students favorites are Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne, Ready Freddy series by Abby Klein, Flat Stanley series by Jeff Brown and Junie B. Jones kindergarten series by Barbara Parks - with the Junie B. you may have to "edit" but the kids really love and relate to this character! I do have to disagree with Jodie m. I don't think they are too young for simple chapter books.

5. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

I don't think this age is too young for chapter books. I think it's important to expose this age of beginning readers to all types of text. When I student taught in kindergarten, my kids enjoys The Magic Treehouse series. They loved it and were always so enticed!

6. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

May 22, 2008

I definitely agree, 4 and 5 year olds are not too young for beginner chapter books. I read one Magic Tree House and my kids were hooked. We read 1 to 2 chapters everyday before lunch and we are now on book #15. All the kids now bring in their own chapter books and "read" them during free times and they take them on their cots at naptime. I personally think this helps develop a desire and love of reading. When I find them cheap at library sales and such, I put the extras in the treasure box and they can't wait to get their turn to go choose one.

7. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

May 22, 2008

I have been reading magic tree house books since January. One week I will read one or two of those books, and the next week I will read picture books again, then next week a couple more magic tree house books. I must say, the children really look forward to the magic tree house books and they sit and listen so much better for them. They love them!

8. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

May 23, 2008

My class loves longer books as well. I also read them without showing them the pictures.