Chapter Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissScrimmage, May 16, 2012.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 16, 2012

Does anyone read novels aloud to their grade 1 class?? Not that I want to do a "novel study" per se, but I would like something that can carry us for a while. I know one teacher in our school did "Charlotte's Web" with her grade 1 class. Any other suggestions?

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 16, 2012

I did it when I taught 1st, I also do it in Kinder. I think it's an outstanding way to improve their vocabulary and listening comprehension. The kids like Toys Go Out, Pippi Longstocking, Roald Dahl books, The World According to Humphrey series, the Mouse and the Motorcycle.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

Clementine

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 16, 2012

My cooperating teacher did one per month. I student taught 2nd semester, and she was in the middle of Mr. Popper's Penguins when I began. Then, she had me read My Life With the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall which was WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY over their heads. She was big on doing a novel from each genre.

Anyway, I am totally in favor of it when it is age appropriate! Maybe even go into Beezus and Ramona by the end of the year.

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

May 17, 2012

We are currently reading The Mouse and the Motorcycle. The kids love it! We tie in persuasive writing and authors purpose by having the kids write a letter as to why Ralph should visit our school.

7. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 17, 2012

Thanks, Massteacher! I am going to do that one - we started the year with a mouse theme as we read "If you Take a Mouse to School" and other mouse picture books. This would be the perfect way to wrap up the year - with a little more 'mature' mouse book. I think we have the movie at school, too!