Chapter Books ~ grade 1!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 20, 2006

Hello! :)

I am looking for a new chapter book to read to my 1st graders! We have already read Junie B. Jones, First Grader at Last, Stuart Little, and Charlotte's Web. They loved the last two books especially as they just LOVE books about animals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

3. missypoopoo

missypoopoo Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

I know that when I taught 1st and 2nd grade I read many of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. Ramona the Pest, Ramona Quimby Age 8, Ramona and her Mother. The students loved these. I know that they are old, but to me they are classics. The students loved all of the trouble Ramona would get into and how she would throw a fit. Most would say (not all though:angel: ) that they would never be able to get away with those kinds of tantrums. :)

Sorry they aren't about animals. :sorry:

4. Mrs.Meow

Mrs.Meow Rookie

Apr 20, 2006

When I taught 1st grade I read Sideway Stories from Wayside School. My kids loved it!!!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 20, 2006

It' not animals but kids usually like the books from the "Horrible Harry" series. I just finished "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with my Kinder kids, some of them had seen the movie so they loved making the comparison.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Apr 20, 2006

What about "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder?! I just love that series! The children would love the adventures for sure!:)

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 21, 2006

All awesome ideas. I really think the kids would go for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory too!! :) Especially so they can compare it to the movie!

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 21, 2006

How do you all manage the group when reading chapter books? How long do you read for? Are the kids coloring , sitting and listening, etc.? Do they retain what has happened in the story from previous chapters? I love read-alouds but usually do picture books. I would love to try a chapter book!

9. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Rookie

May 18, 2006

Pick out which books in particular (such as Charlotte's Web) and find more stories written by that author. I personally thought Junie B. Jones tales were great, but not exactly related to animals.

10. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 18, 2006

What about My Father's Dragon or Mr Poppers Penguins?

11. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Rookie

May 18, 2006

I loved Mr. Popper's Penguins!! It's a bit old, though, but great!

12. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 18, 2006

Amelia Bedelia