Chapter books for K

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Tbug, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Mar 8, 2006

I just finished reading a Junie B. Jones book with my K class, and they loved it. They begged for all day long! I'd like to read another chapter book, but don't know what...are you reading anything lately that keeps kindergartners interests?

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 8, 2006

I have been in K classrooms where they read the Magic Treehouse series... you get history involved there, and the kids loved it!

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 8, 2006

The Ready Freddy books are really cute- like a boy version of Junie B

5. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Mar 9, 2006

Beverly Cleary has chapter books geared towards the younger children. My class last year LOVED "Mr. Poppers Penguins" (haven't read it yet this year). I also recently discovered "Little House on the Prairie" easy chapter books at Barnes and Noble. I read "School Days" to my class ad they enjoyed it.

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 9, 2006

We love Flat Stanley!

7. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Mar 10, 2006

I have read about 10 Junie B. Jones books to my class. They LOVE them!!! I tried a couple of Nate the Great books, but they kept asking for Junie B. so I went back to reading those. After spring break, we are starting Junie B. Jones: 1st grader at last series

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2006

I read "Pee Wee Scout" books to my kids. I have the entire series and the kids really love them. They are about a group of first graders and the children can really relate to their issues. Well written! :) They are an older series and are written by Judy Delton.

9. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

Henry and Mudge

We used the Junie B. series last year in our kindergarten class, but I re-thought them after getting a parent complaint about some of the words that Junie B. uses. So...this year I am using the Henry and Mudge books by Cynthia Rylant. My kids love them! They are beginning readers too, so some of my higher kids have started checking them out of the library and reading them. :)

10. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Mar 20, 2006

I also do not like some of the language in Junie B. Jones (bad grammar, stupid, name calling) When I read the books to my students, I edit as I read. If I accidently say something I didn't want to read, I'll say something like, "oh, the wasn't very nice of her to say that!!!"

11. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Mar 21, 2006

That is exactly what I do. I read EVERY Junie B. Book that Barbara Park ever wrote! The kids love them, and they really have a good message on a 5 year old level! I always have to edit, and I have been reading them for 3 years, and know where I need to now, but I am still waiting for the one parent (whoever they are out there!) to complain. Crossing my fingers....

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 22, 2006

This year my class has been reading through the Magic Tree House series. Other books they enjoy (these are all series): Junie B. Jones, Horrible Harry,Time Warp Trio, A to Z Mysteries, and now The Dragon Slayers Academy (hilarious). They are all end of year 2nd grade independent reading level, but are still great read-alouds for K and 1st.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2006

I like the idea of reading the language but adding evaluative commentary - maybe even engaging kids in a discussion of what Park hopes to accomplish by giving Junie B. language like that. Critical reading, here we come!

14. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Mar 23, 2006

Winnie the Pooh
    Frog and Toad series
    Little Bear

15. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Mar 29, 2006

some of the less known and shorter roald dahl books like fantastic mr fox, magic finger, enormous crocodile, the twits, etc

16. gigi

gigi Groupie

Mar 29, 2006

How about Beverly Cleary?

17. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Mar 29, 2006

there are some berenstain bear chapter books, which are very useful because they are already favorite characters, and kids feel big because they are hearing "big kid berenstain bears!"