Changing to Resource

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ready2teachintx, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ready2teachintx

ready2teachintx Companion

Jun 14, 2009

Need some advice...

I am a little discouraged. I have tought spec. education PRE-K for the last 2 years and have been moved to a resource (mainly inclusion) position for next year. Most of the students will be in grades 4 and 5th. I love a challenge but I also have loved working in self-contained and with the little ones. I am little worried about what my lesson plans might need to look like, my room and just overall working with the older elementary students.

I hate to complaing, because I do have a job...but thought I would seek out advice..

Any advice ou there?:help:

3. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 16, 2009

Hmm well, I have a couple of friends that teach inclusion resource (one is elementary 3rd & 4th and the other is middle school 6th-8th) and both of them tell me that inclusion resource is a cake walk. Basically the gen ed teachers do all the lesson planning. The resource "push-in" teachers just have to modify the plans and/or assist students in the classroom as needed. So I wouldn't worry about lesson planning unless your gen ed teacher wants you to co-teach. Some of them do and some of them don't. If you know who you'll be working with next year you may want to pop them an email and ask them what they prefer. Then go from there.

That's a big change you're making. Was it your choice or did you get moved? :confused:

4. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

That is a big age difference. I would try to check out as many 4/5 grade classrooms as you can and read their curricula.

I switched from k-5 self-contained to k-5 resource, so no age change, but the loss of control over the kids' days and the coordinating with all of the teachers is something to get used to. I have had 9 teachers to coordinate with this year. Due to the range in ages I have, I can't really do push in, but it sounds good.....

If you know the 4/5 teachers you will work with, I would ask them what kind of support they need or what it has looked like in the past. That should start you off on a good foot with them...

I started out as a "high school only, thank you" teacher, and now I am on the floor with kindergarteners. You may surprise yourself with what you can adapt to and excel at.

5. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jun 17, 2009

That's a good point too, Leatherette. I was "K-5 only, please" and now I'm junior high and I actually really enjoy it.

6. ready2teachintx

Jun 17, 2009

Thanks guys;) No, it was not my choice. They closed the program down at my school and several others in the district. So, I was placed inot resource. You all have given me some much needed positive support. I am going to miss the little ones, but like you both pointed out...despite the change; you actually enjoyed it. Change can be a good thing. I will not stress out over the lesson plans until I discuss with the inclusion teachers. Get their input, modify, adjust and be ready to go with the flow. On one positive note...several resource teachers have told me that they love the freedom that they have in their schedules.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 17, 2009

I thought I would NEVER work with older kids, but I've been with 5th for two years and moving to 6th next year. I love it!
    I am moving from 5th inclusion to 6th resource in the fall. Inclusion is nice because you can make it a cake walk if you want. H/e, I wasn't happy with that role. I worked really hard to make my position a true co-teaching experience. The gen ed created the lesson plans some of the time, but we very often worked together to plan the lessons. I created study guides and modified the tests for my caseload. I was completely responsible for the kids on my list. Not all of my co-teachers worked with me though. It is a work in progress and it really takes a leap of faith for role release among colleagues. Everyone is always so afraid that you are out to take their job! :dunno:
    My best advice - do everything you can to make it impossible to tell who is sped and who is gen ed. I help all of the kids, but obviously give my kids a little more attention. By working with all of the kids a little bit, they don't poke fun at the sped kids as much as they would if they stood out...
    Best of luck to you - I'm sure you'll be great.:thumb:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 18, 2009

This is absolutely the best advice! This is how I have been able to work with three teachers over the past couple of years. All of the students in the class are more successful--it's a beautiful thing!

9. ready2teachintx

Jun 18, 2009

Wow! I agree, what great advice. Thanks!!! That seems like a wonderful way where everyone will win. I am going into this with a positive attitude and I have started a journal of ideas and things to do to prepare. I can't really begin curriculum yet until I look at the students IEPs and progress. But, that will come a few weeks before school starts.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jun 19, 2009

I especially love it when my principal comes in to observe and later comments to me that SHE couldn't tell which kids were on my caseload!!