Changing specialty?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by LovesELA, Jul 25, 2013.

1. LovesELA

LovesELA Rookie

Jul 25, 2013

Hi,

I've been out of the teaching field for awhile, after being burned in the long-term position I was in and substituting in the same district for over 3 years. However, I've kept my feet in the water somewhat by taking a job working in a kids daycare/learning program on a cruise ship for 2 years. I originally graduated college with a degree in Education and certifications to teach English grades 1-9. Then I got my Masters in Literacy Education for grades B-6. But since I've been out of the field my interest in science has been rekindled and I'm thinking I would like to teach that now. Not to mention the possibility of a full time position is at a higher percentage than that for English teachers.

I've already got a degree in Education so how would I get what I need to take the science cert tests? Would I just need a BA in science?

I can't believe I'm thinking about going back to school, but I want to broaden my possibilities.
    Anyone else ever decided to switch subjects? I feel like I might be crazy. :confused:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2013

Plenty of people switch subjects; how easy it is depends on the state. If you haven't already done so, check to see whether New York requires that science teachers have either (a) a bachelor's degree or (b) undergraduate or graduate coursework in science.

Current NYSTCE exams focus on specialty areas in science (that is, there's not a general science exam, but rather exams in biology, chemistry, earth science, and physics). I'd strongly recommend taking at least one undergrad-level laboratory science course, if you haven't already done so: many teacher tests contain questions on lab procedures and/or lab safety. You might also consider taking more than one. Whether that means you need an entirely new bachelor's degree is another matter, however.

4. ayla

ayla Companion

Jul 25, 2013

If you are willing to teach in VA, get a VA license that matches your certs from your NY license, then take the Praxis II in whatever science specialty you are wanting to teach and you will be certified. There might be some more states that do this (add on certification by exam) as well.

5. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 25, 2013

I believe North Carolina is like this as well as the poster above me said about VA.

6. LovesELA

LovesELA Rookie

Aug 3, 2013

Thanks very much for the replies. I am thinking more towards finding something out of NY, so it looks like its time to take the Praxis exams. I always cursed that NY was one of those few states that have their own special certification exams rather than the blanket Praxis that many other states seem to request/require.

Thanks again!