Changing Seats

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mathemagician, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Apr 24, 2013

Once I find a seating chart that works, I hate changing it. In one of my classes for example, I need to have certain kids up front, and I need to find a good balance putting kids next to other kids that they'll actually work with when appropriate but who they won't be too social with.

I've changed seats each marking period. Our 4th marking period started the week before spring break (which is this week), and one kid asked me for new seats. I told him after spring break (so next week), but looking at the arrangement, I really don't want to change the seats. All of the kids except this one seem happy/content in their seats. Since I already told them I would, I'll probably make a "new" seating chart with just a few small changes...including the kid who asked me for a change.

Is it just me, or do you hate the hassle of new seats?

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Apr 25, 2013

Personally i feel like if you've found an arrangement that works for you, don't change it. It's so hard to get it just right! This is my 7th year and I still have yet to find that perfect combo where everyone is with people they like and are able to work well and get along with without being silly.

When I first started teaching I used to move seats around all the time. At least once or twice a week.

Now, unless I have a couple kids who just DO NOT get along and will egg each other on, pick fights, bully other kids, etc, I don't change seats very often and when I do it's to seperate trouble makers.

Unfortunately that DOES result in a few "good" kids being evicted from their desks, but even in those instances, I don't move everyone around.

The reason I stopped moving the entire class is because it's too much hassle and after awhile, once most kids get comfortable with each other, they become friends and start talking and then you look up and have to move them again.

For me, it becomes almost like an obsession, trying to crack this impossible puzzle of the perfect seating arrangement/groups.

Then I get frusrated so I prefer to move people to time out or have them sit at one of my work tables alone when they're acting up then to keep moving them.

Everyone's different though. My coworker constantly moves her kids around and she's been teaching longer than me and (imho) i think she's got better classroom management.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 25, 2013

I start them out in alphabetical order. In a week or two they choose their own seats. From there I just move trouble spots. Works great most years.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

I assign seats at the beginning of the year, and then change them for individual students on an as-needed basis after that. Students move around a lot for a variety of activities during class, so I don't mind having one location that is their own spot for the duration of the year.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2013

Actually, I love changing seats. But, I'm elementary, so things are much different than high school.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2013

Just get a fruit basket for the kId who doesnt like his new seat.:lol:

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 25, 2013

Last year we changed seats once every two months. This year I have so many kids who CANNOT sit together that we've only changed them twice (except for the kids who've been rotated around the room because they found someone knew they couldn't sit with.) I'm thinking of maybe changing once more this year to change things up in the room. But there aren't many choices.