Changing seasons and dwindling wardrobes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 5, 2013

I despise shopping, so my closet is always pretty bare year-round. Today I decided to go through and see what I could salvage for fall, which was practically nothing. Most of my clothes are either stained and threadbare or too big. I realized I don't have a single pair of dress pants that fit :mad:

Going to scope out Khols and NY & Co for a few pieces so I don't have to show up to work in a summer dress in the upcoming weeks! I really hate shopping because I never know what looks good on me or how to coordinate outfits. It's also hard to find things that fit because I'm pretty small, size 2 petite...anything in the Average section is impossible. Ever seen the petite sections? Pitiful, loaded with elastic-waist, tapered pants, and plenty of ugly rayon prints! :|

Wish me luck!

3. bison

bison Habitué

Oct 5, 2013

I would check out the Banana Republic and J. Crew sale sections as well. You might also have a Banana Republic Factory store in your area if you're lucky. They have beautiful petite clothing! Good luck. :)

4. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Oct 5, 2013

J.Crew Factory has been having really good clothes lately. And I know it can be a pain, but a tailor is essential. They can make you love clothes again

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 5, 2013

I often adapt my summer clothes for fall / winter.
    Summer: knee length skirt + sandals + tank top + cardigan
    Cold / cool weather: same knee length skirt + boots (high calf) + turtleneck, or other top that's a bit warmer + thicker cardigan or a sweater.

You gotta have dress pants though, but even if you just have 3, you can do a lot of mixing and matching.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2013

What about taking a friend who can help you decide what looks good on you?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 5, 2013

JCPenney used to be a pretty good place to shop for petites, and might still be.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2013

Loft has beautiful petite offerings.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2013

Echoing all of the above and adding Express. They don't have petite, but their pants do have a short offering. I love the Editor pants.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2013

Thumb through a few magazines to see what outfits are being put together out there lately.

Remember, spend more money on basics in basic colors that you'll wear much more often, such as black pants & pants in other neutrals & good quality shoes. Then, some people like spending a lot of on those unique, quirky pieces OR you can go the other way & spend less on the tops because it's not like you'll wear the same thing daily, so it's less wear.

I know some women hate shopping. I knew a friend in high school who did, but woah, a woman who hates shopping!

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2013

lots of women hate shopping....it's really not that unusual.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 6, 2013

I'm just throwing this out there since you are headed to Kohls. I have found some elastic waist pants by Lee that I absolutely love. They don't look like elastic waist at all, and a super comfy while looking smooth and sleek (as opposed to bunchy and saggy). I don't know if they have petites, but I would think so as Lee does a petite line and this is turning into a popular style. Originally they only had these slacks in khaki, but I have since found them in black, grey, and denim! I have one of each.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 6, 2013

I find that it's hit or miss with Kohl's. Sometimes they have cute stuff and other times it's old lady like, especially the petite department.

Do some stores have a better selection of petites then others? I know that when I shop Dress Barn, I often have to go to one that's farther away to get a better petite selection.