Changing Jobs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by NewTeacher12345, Apr 10, 2021.

1. NewTeacher12345

NewTeacher12345 Rookie

Apr 10, 2021

I need advice on switching from one district to another. I feel like "quitting" is such an awkward thing to do, but maybe that's just because I never have. I have been teaching first grade at a school in my home town for the last two years. It was my very first teaching job out of college. Now, I am realizing I get payed basically nothing to do everything and just want to work somewhere else. I have become close with all of my coworkers as well so its tough. But, my question is, how do I go about this process? Is it necessary to get a letter of rec from the principal or others at my school? Then what if I don't get a job elsewhere? They will think I am not committed to the school I am at. Ugh this is all just very uncomfortable and I don't know how to go about it. Any advice from someone who has done this would be greatly appreciated!!

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Apr 10, 2021

I have switched sites, but not districts. I let my admin know I was looking, but I had tenure so I wasn't worried about being let go. Because I was moving from middle to high school, I was able to frame my search with that as the focus, which wasn't the whole story, but sounded reasonable.

You will almost certainly need two or three letters to apply for most jobs. If you decide to search, you should try to come up with an explanation that won't insult people or lead them to question your commitment to teaching. Reasonable examples include relocation, better pay, reducing commute time, or wanting to teach different grade or content area.

I do wonder about your current situation. What are the potential improvements that you see in moving? Are salary schedules very different at other districts? Also, for me, the first year at a new site was hard. Not first year of teaching hard, but nonetheless, pretty difficult.

MrTempest likes this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2021

Since you are only 2 years in, presumably the letters you have from applying to your first job are still valid. Around here, applications almost always say they need 3 letters of rec from within the past 5 years. However, you also need to consider references. Are the people who were references for you 2 years ago still willing to do so? I would add at least one person from your current job. Is there anyone, such as a teammate, who you can trust to be a reference for you and not blab if you don't end up getting hired elsewhere?

Around here no district will hire you without talking to your current/most recent P. However, many do offer flexibility in when that person is contacted. When filling out applications when it asked if they could contact my P, I put "yes, as a final step prior to making an offer." In the interview, I'd ask that they let me know prior to contacting my P so that I could have a conversation with her first. Many interview teams offered this without me having to say something. They are used to people being in the position of not wanting to ruin things at a current job if a new job doesn't work out.

Like the pp, I also wonder what improvements you're looking for elsewhere. Are you currently at a private or charter school? Or thinking of moving to a new location entirely? If not, I'd assume the pay in nearby district is fairly comparable.

MrTempest and mrsf70 like this.