changing jobs after 3 months

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by daisycay, Dec 30, 2011.

1. daisycay

daisycay Rookie

Dec 30, 2011

Basically I took a job at a Charter School in October. It was the first offer I had recieved after subbing for over a year. The charter seemed great when I interviewed, I had interviewed at some scary charters and this on seemed to be ok. That said I know charters can go either way, but I figured I could last a year. Now I am starting to reconsider. I'm the only teacher at my grade level so as a first year teacher I have no mentor and am pretty much left to fend for myself. The main problems are lack of communication and discipline. There is none. Plus I know 100% that this school's main focus is on what the owner wants not what is best for the students. I know it could be worse but I drive an hour to work and get paid very little. I student taught and have done some long term sub jobs that were at wonderful public schools. . I thought that my first year of teaching would be in a place were I could learn from and collaborate with other teachers. I'm applying for other jobs and hope something comes up. I do like my kids but this job is making me feel isolated, I just don't feel like a teacher I feel more like a babysitter. Has anyone had to leave mid year or after a few months? What about the students? Did you feel guilty for leaving them? I know I will not be back next year.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

You seem to be looking for reasons to quit...you knew the commute and pay when you accepted the job. In an earlier post, you also delineated some of the other limitations to the job. You are now feeling frustrated and other options are looking more enticing...sounds a bit like 'the grass is always greener' :sorry: How much of the discipline can you handle on your own? Truthfully, these dont sound like the biggest issues that would make some one quit...unless the discipline problems are leading to unsafe conditions, I'd suggest you stick it out for the year. The first year for any teacher anywhere can be difficult. Having a mentor and team to plan with would be nice, but it's not a guarantee of a great year either. Your resume will be stronger with one full year under your belt...there are districts who will not even consider interviewing a teacher who is under contract elsewhere and I'm not quite sure how you'd put a positive spin on your reasons for leaving midyear...if you can reasonably handle the discipline (which, by the way is the most difficult for new teachers and a major reason for nonrenewals), if you feel safe, and are making your best effort with your students, then stay. We've all had jobs we knew wouldn't be our 'forever' jobs, but if you can make it through the year, that would be your best option.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

I agree.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

I agree with trying to stick it out for the year. You made a commitment now you should try to honor that as best you can. Plus the experience that you are getting will help you land another job in the future.

Now, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't start applying for other jobs. Some districts start their hiring for next year in Feb!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Dec 31, 2011

I agree, stick it out for the year. I think it looks bad when someone leaves midyear unless there is a very legitimate reason (relocation due to spouse's job, your own major illness, major family illness that ends up needing you at home, or a work environment so bad that it is affecting your health/well being). Although it sounds like you're not in a great school and you're unhappy, it doesn't sound like you can't make it through the year. So, stick it out, and come Feb or so you can hopefully start applying to other schools. Your resume won't stick out like a sore thumb if you stick it through. With hundreds or even over a thousand people applying for one position you don't want your resume rejected due to leaving a school before the year was over.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 31, 2011

I agree that you should stick it out until the end of the year. At least now you can add this experience to your resume.

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

3 months is not a long time to give yourself to get acclimated to the job. Charter schools are usually way different than your average public school, and take some getting used to, especially the routines, management, etc. Make the job your own, it sounds as if they will allow you the flexibility. I agree that it will look better for you if you can at least stay for the one year period.

9. daisycay

daisycay Rookie

Dec 31, 2011

I just wanted to clear up that this is not the same charter job that I had mentioned in an earlier post, it is a different job teaching a different subject and grade level.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2011

Ok...but it's still best you fulfill your contract. Your reasons for leaving are not compelling.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Stay for the whole school year.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 2, 2012

Stay! I am also at a charter that is not ideal, but a full year's experience is priceless. Message me if you need support. We'll get through it! Halfway done at this point...

13. flutterbye

flutterbye Rookie

Jan 2, 2012

My first year I was writing out my letter of resignation over Thanksgiving break. I was at my wits end, coming home (eventuallY) and crying every night. I felt ineffective and plain HORRIBLE. I just knew my kids would get a better education if ANYONE else were teaching them.

The special ed teacher happened to catch me on the way to drop the letter off with the principal. She gave me the best advice I have ever had. Just get through the first year and then start thinking about careers in Walmart, because you won't quit mid year and teach again.