Changing Grading Percentages due to SBAC/PARCC?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rockguykev, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2015

Our elementary schools have gone to a 1-4 grading system due largely to the use of SBAC (which also has 4 levels.) The percentages are rather nuts with a 4 meaning 92% or above and a 3 ranging from 61% to 91%. Obviously, this is a mess. Plastering a 4 point system onto a 100 point system is just silly but that is currently where we are. Our mandated grade program doesn't handle rubrics well so including percentages at all is basically a band-aid.

Have any of you experienced similar changes to grading? I really loathe the 100 point system and am looking at going 1-4 in my own classroom but with some more logic to the percentages (since so far middle schools have not been mandated to change at all.) I'd like to know how it has affected others, especially at the secondary level, if you have.

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 22, 2015

The school I student taught at used a system like this and it was... difficult. But if I remember correctly it was 0/1-3, and my CT and I always felt that 3 (which was described as "meets expectations") left a lot to be desired for the students in our class who always went above and beyond. And then there were our SpEd students who really weren't helped by the numbering system, because they always ended up getting 1s simply because the system was based on grade level work, and they were doing modified assignments (0 was "no effort, student did nothing" and 1 was basically "tried and failed").

1-4 seems better to me, just because you have that extra middle portion and there's room for students to be recognized for exceeding expectations. Plus you can use that system in other ways in your room, like for students to self-evaluate their understanding (1 -- I still need to work on this, 2 -- I can do it with help, 3 -- I can get it most of the time, 4 -- I can teach someone else to do this) or something similar to that. It gives you a quick idea of where the students feel they're at, which is always helpful.

4. London

London Rookie

Jun 22, 2015

I do a 0-5 grading scale (we are evaluated using Marzano, so learning scales have to be a part of our class). I like the 0-5 for several reasons.

Number 1, because it easily translates to a base 50 grading percentages. Our grade book does not handle Standards based grading (just percentages), so we have to translate grades into percents.

Number 2 I have more room to distinguish between the kids who know the grade level material and the kids who can connect the material to other concepts, apply it to real life, etc.

I always hated the description of the highest level as "I can teach it". Some kids aren't great teachers, but by the end of the year, could write a 10 page paper connecting and interrelating every single topic covered (we go from atoms to energy, to cells/microbiology, to photosynthesis, to ecosystems).

Number 3, the grades tend to fall into a modified bell curve, where most kids get 3's. When I let them know that a 3 is acceptable, but we are working for 4s, they tend to work harder and are less defeated - and they know what they need to work on.

I do really wish our district would consider a grade book that would handle this kind of grading. Parents tend to start calling when dear little Johnny has a C, asking if they are not turning in their work. The parents haven't figured out that we are grading based on what the kids KNOW and understand, not work ethic.

0 - No attempt made
    1 = 50% - 59% - Attempted, but did not understand
    2 = 60% - 69% - Understood some of the basic concepts
    3 = 70% - 79% - Understood most of the basic concepts
    4 = 80% - 89% - Understood all concepts at grade level
    5 = 90% - 100% - Shows how these concepts are related to other concepts/can apply concepts to real world applications.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 22, 2015

I love this, and I wish we could switch to something similar.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 22, 2015

I've been on the 4-point scale for a few years now and love it so much! Honestly, it is easier for me to grade an essay as a B instead of justifying whether it's an 83 or 87. Our rubrics reflect a scale similar to London's but without the 50-59% section. In addition, we can give longer, more comprehensive assignments a greater weight than a multiple choice quiz. Same 4-point scale, but a project may have a weight of 2 or 3.

7. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2015

Cat, in that model if you did give a multiple choice quiz would it still be recorded as a 1-4? Say a student earned an 87%. Would that go in the gradebook as a 3 or as an 87?

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2015

I give percentages on tests. Our 4-point report card has multiple benchmarks per content area and rubrics tied to each benchmark.