Changing Grade Levels 1st-3rd

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by mjennings, Jul 3, 2006.

1. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 3, 2006

So on the last week of school I wan informed that my position of being a first grade teacher will no longer be needed in the fall, as our numbers are diminishing. So therefore, I will be starting next year as a 3rd grade teacher. Let me just say that this past year in 1st grade was my first year teaching. And as all first year teachers do I spend A LOT of money on supplies and materials (my own money) Now as a first year teacher in 3rd grade, I am in that same predicament.

What I am most scared of is how to handle the kids. 1st grade was great because the kids will work for stickers, and candy. And all you have to do is give them what i call "the evil eye" and they will quickly change their behavior. Or all i have to say is "move your person".

I am not sure as to what and how to approache 3rd graders, what type of reading books should i begin to look for so i can fill my classroom library? How should I prepare myself to be a successful 3rd grade teacher?

I would love to hear ideas and suggestions from teachers who have taught both first and third grade!

Thanks!:confused:

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

3rd graders will behave for the same stickers and candy you gave to the 1st graders. I'm positive my 5th graders will behave for CANDY!! but the only candy I give them is peppermint or they would probably drive me insane.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

They always say if you are going to change grades, move up!! You will be amazed at how much 3rd graders can do!! They are going to seem SO SMART to you!! For the most part 3rd graders are still sweet. They still like positive incentives for doing well. The third grade is a busy busy year- multiplication, division, cursive writing, becoming better readers and writers, becoming more independent...You can do so much with them- you will love it!! Books: beginning 3rd graders shouldn't really be reading lower than 'L' level books unless they are still developing/struggling(?) as readers (get on the strugglers FAST and make sure they have some support inplace other than you- basic skills, IEP?, resource room, tutor??) Level L includes Magic Tree House, Junie B. Jones, A to Z mysteries. Other series to look for at the next several levels: Amber Brown, Boxcar children, Bailey School Kids, Time Warp Trio, The Littles, Geronimo Stilton.....Authors: Roald Dahl, Beverly Cleary,

5. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Jul 3, 2006

Third grade is a great grade to teach. They are still young but are able to take on more responsibilities. You can expect more from them and they work more independently than in first. The "evil eye" still works well with third graders. :)

You may be able to use a lot of the materials you purchased for 1st grade...it just may take some adapting. Make sure you have some type of behavior plan in place for beginning the school year. If you want some info on what I use with my 3rd graders, feel free to PM me. :)

6. MissV

MissV Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Let me tell ya, 3rd graders love the SAME type of stuff that the first graders do. I student taught 1st grade and I'm using lots of the stuff I bought way back then for my third graders this year. Most of the concepts are similar, just slightly advanced.

What kinds of things did you do in first grade that you would really like to keep? I'm using morning meeting and calendar time with my 3rd graders, even though traditionally they are used for the younger grades.

3rd graders are still very afraid of the evil eye! I think the big "attitude shift" towards discipline plans happens in 4th grade. My third graders will be moving their clothespin:)

The best part about 3rd grade so far is finding good books that they can read! No weaning off of picture books involved! This past year, I bought $20 worth of used books from McKays a month, and now I have a fair sized class library :)

Books I used in 3rd grade this year:
    Ramona Quimby books
    Charlotte's Web
    Miss Nelson Books
    The Giving Tree (I just can't let this one go)
    The Stinky Cheese Man (a hoot when you study fairy tales and compare)
    Amelia Bedelia books
    Hank the Cowdog
    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    The True story of the Three Little Pigs
    Matilda
    Casey at Bat
    Some Shel Silverstein Poetry (a light in the attick, Where the sidewalk ends)

Stuff I want to do this year:
    Babe the Gallant Pig (though not near Charlotte's web)
    Shiloh
    Harry Potter
    Jumanji
    The Whipping boy

I made Book Log Sheets for this year: (trying something new)
    Here's one for reading at home:
    http://www.valerie.ferrellweb.com/reading_log_home.pdf
    And one to keep up with Accelerated Reader tests
    http://www.valerie.ferrellweb.com/reading_log_school.pdf

I do the whole caterpillar thing too. When a student finishes a book, he can get a caterpillar circle (laminated circles I cut out of colored paper). It has lines on it that he can write in information with a sharpie. He can then attach his caterpillar circle (a piece of the body) to the caterpillar on the wall. The goal is to complete the caterpillar, from head to tail (on the other end of the wall).

Once it is completed the students get a prize. (beanbag for the reading rug). The stuff that needs to be written in the caterpillar circle changes each week. One week it could be: "List Title and Author and Character names". The next week it could be "Write your favorite sentence from the book and illistrate"

Incentives
    3rd graders are ALL about incentives.
    I do sticker (Incentive) charts. If they fill one up, they get a prize from the treasure chest on Friday.
    They get stickers for:
    -reading books
    -finding a mistake that I make (or in a text document)
    -giving an exceptional answer
    -following directions
    -showing character traits, etc.

I did a word wall last year when I did title 1 for third grade, and here's one I've got for this year:
    http://www.valerie.ferrellweb.com/images/wordwall.gif

I still teach phonics in 3rd grade, and I love the book "month by month phonics" from Carson Delosa
    Some books I use: http://valerie.ferrellweb.com/teachers/books/

Hope I could help! This will be my first year in a self contained classroom of 3rd graders (Last year I just taught language arts), so I'm looking for ideas too!

7. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Moving from first to third

I have taught first, second, and third grades. At one point, I moved from first to third. It was great. Third graders can do so much by themselves. They are more independent but they still are loving. One thing I realized early in the year was that they had to learn how to do things like copy problems from their math books. We didn't have consumable math books so we had to have a lesson in how to set up the page, where to put the book and the notebook or paper.

Good luck! Enjoy third grade!

8. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

It's been so great to read this thread. I am moving from kindergarten to third and the closer I get the more nervous. It's nice to know others are in the same boat! Thanks for all the great tips.

9. mjennings

mjennings Companion

Jul 3, 2006

I have to agree with AZKinderTchr, I have been dreading this move....and after reading so many great posts I am starting to feel more confident about the change. Keep the great ideas coming....thanks!

10. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2006

Third graders are great. I really enjoyed teaching at that grade level. They are very interested in learning and can really take off- it's a wonderful age. I felt the most creative when I worked with that age group- so many opportunities for making learning fun.

Stone Fox and Sarah, Plain and Tall
    are two of my most favorite books for that *grade* . For the higher readers, I read Top Secret (same author as Stone Fox-John Reynolds Gardnier)