Changing from Teaching to...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lily38, Feb 9, 2015.

1. lily38

lily38 Rookie

Feb 9, 2015

I've been teaching for a couple of years now and I'm starting to think that I might be burned out after about 5 years. I love my students, but the requirements my school has for teachers and the constant walkthroughs are wearing me out.

I enjoyed reading one of the other threads about careers outside of the classroom. I was wondering if anyone knew of a teacher that had become an SLP. I've been looking into it and it would be a lot of extra schooling that isn't cheap. I'm wondering if anyone knows a teacher who has made this move and is happy with their decision. The actually job doesn't seem that exciting, but it does seem like there is less stress and you still get to have a positive impact on students.

What are your thoughts? Or what have you heard from SLPs in general? Thanks.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 9, 2015

Our SLPs still get walkthroughs and observations. They're evaluated just like any other teacher. They still have a lot of stress. They're just stressing over different things. Scheduling is a nightmare for them, and they have to participate in a ton of meetings. Not to mention all the communicating and collaborating with other teachers who aren't really open to it. With that said, I think they both love their jobs, but I don't think it's any less stress.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

You might read some of Ms I's SLP psts. Or IM her.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

I have a teacher friend who is going through the program right now. Haven't been able to talk to her since she started the program though. I will tell you that the SLPs that I work with are just as stressed if not more than teachers. They have to make sure that therapy time is being implemented correctly, schedule those therapy times around a 1000 different things, conduct IEP meetings, attend meetings, test students and take care of paperwork. And that's just what I can see from the outside.

6. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Feb 10, 2015

Just something to keep in mind with the other comments, I don't think all SLPs work in schools. I don't know that much about the job itself so I can't offer any more advice than that and what others have said. I would recommend doing a lot of research into it before hand if, as you said, it will take a lot of time and money. It may be worth it though if you like it!

7. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Feb 12, 2015

I'm in school for SLP right now. I will work in the schools, but eventually want to have my own practice or do some traveling. I love it so far. The SLPs in my school do not have as much stress as teachers.

8. lily38

lily38 Rookie

Feb 12, 2015

I appreciate the replies. Thank you.