Changing Careers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nmurray, Dec 23, 2016.

1. nmurray

nmurray Rookie

Dec 23, 2016

I need to leave teaching. Has anyone switched careers from teaching? If so - what do you do now, and how did you switch? Did you go back to school? My biggest fear is that employers don't see teachers as hirable in other careers. I have an English credential.
    I have read a lot of articles online about becoming an editor, technical writer, curriculum designer or trainer... however I am not sure how realistic it is to switch into careers even if they are related to English (ie writing, etc) because many don't think teaching is a real job. I am 30 and I'm not against going back to school, but it pains me to even think about more student loans in addition to the ones I am paying from my teaching program.
    Anyway, what I am really looking for is for some advice from people who have actually been successful in a career change.

3. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Dec 24, 2016

Perhaps, you just need a change of scenary! What were some of the problems you were experiencing at your old school? You may only need to teach at a new school with a new administration etc. and not need to make a total career change. Please update, and welcome to A to Z.
    :)

4. Teachertimes

Teachertimes Rookie

Dec 24, 2016

Have you thought about trying to get into curriculum writing or even becoming a resource teacher who helps other teachers?

nmurray likes this.
  5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 26, 2016

If you currently teach (and have a paycheck), why not try freelance writing? Once you pad your resume with some non-teaching gigs, the HR departments might take you more seriously.

I had a friend who tried to get into another career. She took some small working-for-peanuts side jobs and then got in her desired profession.

It might not work, but couldn't hurt.

nmurray likes this.
  6. McGonagall

McGonagall Rookie

Dec 26, 2016

I like this. Dabble in other things while teaching. Meanwhile, maybe even look into finding a new district to teach in. It might make all the difference.

MathGuy82 and nmurray like this.
  7. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Dec 30, 2016

Good idea. I would highly recommend against quitting teaching without first trying out when you eventually want to do....dabble and job shadow. You would be starting from stratch. I've changed careers a number of times. The grass isn't always greener. Maybe look for a different district or school, but look into how it affects your pension. If you want a desk job (I am switching to teaching to avoid this) maybe look into getting into administration.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  8. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Dec 31, 2016

What are your reasons for leaving? Do you have previous work experience outside of education?

Also, admin (especially assistant principal) is not...I repeat not...any sort of desk job.

nmurray and teacherintexas like this.
  9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 2, 2017

I live in an area with a couple of textbook publishing companies, and they LOVE hiring former teachers. There is also corporate training and customer service, because teachers are natural at both. That being said, are you sure that changing careers is absolutely required, or just changing teaching positions?

10. nmurray

nmurray Rookie

Feb 1, 2017

Thank you so much for all of your replies. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I've been doing some major searching. There is great advice here. I am going to try a different setting.
    That being said, I have an interview coming up in a different district (I am not under a contract right now so can leave at will), for a blended/independent study position. I'd have a caseload of students that I'd meet with face to face at a school. I am actually really excited at the idea that I'll be working with students more one on one. Maybe this is the change of scenery I need.

11. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Feb 1, 2017

I am curious too, can you tell us why you are leaving? If not, you have a least a bachelor's degree. So jobs like to hire those with degrees and your experience. Look what you think you could be best with. What is your major and what did you teach?