changing boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teachnnola, Jul 16, 2006.

1. teachnnola

teachnnola Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

The school where I was teaching is closed because of the
    hurricane. My new school is nice but the class where I
    will be teaching has two walls of chalkboards. I need to
    cover one of the chalkboards with paper to display
    numbers, colors, shapes, etc. Any suggestions on what kind
    of tape/glue to use to hold the bulletin board paper, border
    and charts up? By the way, I teach first grade.
    Thanks

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

I assume there is no wooden frame or anything to staple into. You could use double sided sticky tape. It will leave a residue but I think it could be removed without permanently damaging the chalkboard.

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

hot glue works for me. I also have two blackboards, I covered one with stuff using hot glue.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2006

6. teachnnola

teachnnola Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them.

7. akbeck98

akbeck98 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

If you use very small loops and a ton of masking tape it should work if you really smooth it down. This might work good with a combination of hot glue too. I hung a huge butcher block bulletin board in the hall way that way on cinder blocks and it stayed the entire year.

8. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

What about using magnet tape? If you use those 3m sticky 'things' to put up the paper and then use the magnet tape to put up shapes, etc. on top of the paper you wouldn't have to change it often!

I LOVE the 3m sticky 'things' because they don't leave a residue!!

9. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

insulation

you can get some insulation board (its silver and about 1 inch thick) at Home Depot or Lowes. You can get any size and you can just kind of lean it on the edge on the bottom of the board and tack it somehow at the top (I used nails..shhhh you can probably use duct tape or something if you dont want to make it too permanent) You can then staple right into the insulation board and use it as a regular bulletin board. I did this at my first school which had two full walls of very ugly, and old chalkboards. It worked great!

~Karrie

10. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

How about using material instead of butcher type paper? It is lighter, comes in wonderful colors and patterns and themes, and is so much easier to work with. It can be used over and over. I usually get mine for a dollar or two dollars a yard on the mark down racks at Wal Mart and Super Wal Mart. A yard with a 45 inch width makes a nice size bulletin board-you could divide the length of your board. Masking tape will stick to the material to put up your displays. :)

I am so sorry that your school had to be closed, and can not even begin to imagine what you have been through in the past year. May this coming year bring only blessings for you and yours. :love:

11. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

you can get some insulation board (its silver and about 1 inch thick) at Home Depot or Lowes

I did this too. I was in a room that was a computer lab prior to me having it, and I bought a magnetic dry erase board for 9$ at Lowes!!!! Then I screwed it into the wall. Very good investment!

12. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 17, 2006

I would see if the school would have a problem with you "changing" a chalkboard to corkboard. You can buy rolled corkboard for relatively cheap and glue it on using a spray. When talking to the principal/building engineer/janitor, you could mention your concern for using the chalkboards because of all of the dust. Kids-> allergies. Hopefully they will be understanding. In my old classroom, the district covered both of my old chalkboards. One got covered with corkboard and the other with a roll-out laminate that made it a whiteboard (but without magnetic capabilities). Good luck...

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

Are you talking about the Command hooks? I tried those one year, but had a heck of a time getting them down. I guess Christmas to May is longer than what the company planned when they made these temporary things.