Changing assessment style with CCSS

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 18, 2015

Hey everyone!

First off: Apologies in advance for any typos. Watching the NE game at the same time! :rofl::rofl:

Fourth grade teacher here using the CCSS.

I am trying to do my very best shifting to the new ideas and techniques behind the CCSS.

Our report card doesn't have just one "ELA" category but one for Language Arts and one for Reading. Vocabulary, Spelling, and all forms of writing fall under the LA category.

Do you think that a weekly spelling test done in the traditional way (dictated) is necessary? It's just one standard (4.L.1.2.d) and while the words/patterns varies weekly I am unsure if it's absolutely necessary to do this weekly.

My second half of the year goal is to spend a LOT more time figuring out how to better assess Reading other than the weekly reading tests with our Journeys series. The series does assess the standards via weekly stories that align to the skill/standard but I'd like to use different tests than just the multiple choice options. I also need to figure out how/when to fairly and adequately assess Speaking & Listening standards with our report cards that are weighted as such:

Tests: 40%
    Classwork: 35%
    Projects: 25%

Thank you so much. :) :thanks::thanks:

-an Overwhelmed Fourth Grade Teacher

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 18, 2015

Do I think it's necessary? No. I will say that when my school tried to eliminate them, we had major backlash from parents. Studying for spelling tests is something they can actually help their kids with, and it is so traditional. The only reason I do them is because parents expect them.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 18, 2015

WOW!!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2015

I haven't done spelling tests or lists at all this year. I never found them to improve my kids' spelling at all. I'm still doing some pattern work with some of my kids, but I've scaled it back majorly. The spelling work I do with my kids now revolves around their writing pieces.

As far as listening and speaking go... I assess on those primarily through things like reader's theaters, class presentations, and Socratic Seminars. I don't know how in the world I could come up with a L/S grade that included 40% tests.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

I'm the same with spelling, been doing it this way for many years. It works!

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 18, 2015

Can you describe what this looks like?

8. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 18, 2015

I like doing a weekly spelling test. I tie it it with grade level phonics and affixes, so they're studying patterns, not just random words.

9. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 19, 2015

Thanks so much! The one spelling standard even says "using reference books if necessary." I assume that means that during editing the kids can check a dictionary.

Thanks so much for your help.

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 19, 2015

Truthfully, it looks different for different kids. I have one kiddo who, no joke, has not spelled a single thing wrong in anything he has turned in this year. He has not gotten a single second of spelling instruction this year (though we have worked some on expanding vocabulary). I have another kiddo with atrocious spelling. Her and I do come close to a typical spelling list. I come up with a list of about twenty words for her to work with, all with one or two different patterns, and I encourage her to use those words in her writing. When she starts mastering those words, I take some off her list and add new ones.

Basically, it's just doing slightly longer writing conferences than I might otherwise.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jan 19, 2015

I like this method. Thanks for sharing.