Changes for Next Year?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, May 27, 2009.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

May 27, 2009

I'm feeling overwhelmed with all I want to do this summer in preparation for next year. I'm not sure where to even start, so I was wondering what changes everyone else is going to make for next year. This will help me make a list of all I want to accomplish and to possibly remember things I had already forgotten. :)

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

May 27, 2009

I am switching from a mixed age class back to a regular fourth grade classroom. I will be working on a class website, my class handbook-which basically explains rules, procedures, homework,... After that I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

What I usually do is make a list. (I am a llist maker.) I think of things I wanted to change from the previous year. Decide which need to be changed the most and work on one at a time. Remember you are only human, you may not be able to get every thing done. And who says teachers get three months off a year? If they only knew our brains never stopped thinking of our classrooms! :O)

4. Apple777

Apple777 New Member

May 28, 2009

Ideas

I have been keeping a running list of ideas I have come up with throughout the year as I do things and realize a better or more efficient way to do it. Many of the things I write down are for managing and running my classroom. A couple ideas I had for next year was: sending a newsletter home to keep parents updated on what their students are doing and how they can become involved in their student's education and a new job for my class. The new job is a guest relations who helps absent students catch up on their work or new students get to know my classroom rules.

5. Irma

Irma Companion

May 28, 2009

I am burned out right now and can't think of what I wanted to work on- I am feeling lost but I am sure by mid-June, it'll all come back to me. I know I have to work on our spelling program and some more reading group ideas...

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 28, 2009

I am changing grade levels so I want to go over my curriculum and be ready to teach it when school starts. We have to do groups so I want to get a ton of centers organized.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2009

I am switching grade levels and classrooms- so my first thing is to pack up my current room, move into the new room, and learn the curriculum. Then I want to buy new resources that I will need and read up on morning meetings and writing in 1st grade. Oh, and I need to finish planning my wedding and get married this summer! :lol: I'm going to be very busy!

8. childfont

childfont Rookie

May 30, 2009

It is the very major and important step to move forward in the life .
    Don't waste your time in the vacations , even work more harder to achieve the success in the life .

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2009

I have major changes in store for next year. My Special Ed focus in the school has always been grades 5-8, next year I'll be working with some incoming JK students with special needs and dealing primarily with primary students. I'll also be teaching the English program for a grade 7/8 class. Huge learning curve = lots of work this summer!

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 30, 2009

God only knows what changes I'll be making next year. They will be big, though. My position as a behavioural interventionist was cut, so I am now waiting to find out where (if anywhere) my district will place me next year, and of course what I will be teaching.

11. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 30, 2009

I started a spiral notebook where I jot down quick notes of what I would like to change.

A few things I will be changing...

1) Teaching my kids about Question Answer Relationships (QAR)
    2) I will changing my SSR: Students will be responding to their reading.
    3) Change my vocabulary instruction and have students keep vocabulary notebooks.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

Well, so far I have painted in my classroom a bit, and I moved around some furniture to make some space. I have some new ideas in mind for my ss curriculum (well, science too, but we won't get our new books until school starts boo!)

13. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

May 30, 2009

Got to move classrooms, learn a new curriculum for my new grade level, and work on all this technology stuff for my school. No rest for the weary :(

14. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

Specific changes I plan to make...

- Simplify my reward system. This year I offered candy and hw passes, but for those that saved their stars they could get pizza parties... just a hassle for me to plan, and I've since learned it does not take much to excite a student. They won't miss what they don't have. So no more elaborate parties.

- Spend more time with the 2nd class I see (my non-homeroom) at the beginning of the year working on general routine. I slacked off because they are only in my room for an hour and a half for math. And we didn't even meet until the 2nd week. I can feel the difference.

- Require some sort of silent activity for dismissal... silent reading until your bus is called maybe?

- Collect HW in a new way.. I have them put all their homework in one folder and 2 kids collect them all. But for the sake of checking completion before recess (for consequences) it is a hassle sifting through a usually messy folder. I think I may have individual trays for each subject and have them drop it in that way.

- Maybe switch to a weekly HW packet instead of daily assignments as well. .. still thinking about this one..

- and finally, figure out my ELA curriculum. I will be teaching ELA and Math next year (as opposed to teaching Math, Science, and Social studies this year).

15. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jun 6, 2009

1. organize my classroom library-make new book labels, enter books into an Excel spreadhseet

2. revamp classroom management plan

3. try to incorporate character education lessons into the social studies curriculum

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

Catalog all of my books in librarything.com

Create a website and begin organizing all of my teaching ideas and resources in it.

Finish my exploration packs

Plan Smartboard lessons

Begin work on National Board certification

Prepare for beginning using Daily 5

Yikes! Can we postpone the start of school, please! :eek: (And we're not out yet for this year!)