Change of Plans (ie, grade level)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cutNglue, Jul 22, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

I'm listed in the job thread as a brand new teacher and in 5th grade. I'm still a new teacher but I'm now a KINDERGARTEN teacher. I'm excited about this change because I was an aide in first grade for 3 years and this is closer to that experience than 5th grade. Plus 5th grade is a testing grade and has a lot of extra responsibility projects to squeeze in. I always said K would be hard because they are just beginning and I have to start almost from scratch but now I'm much more comfortable with this idea than I was for 5th. Now I get to do lots of hands on activities, crafts, cooking and all those things I enjoy doing! Gotta love it! I did ask my boss today, "Is that your final answer?" :haha: Really I told her I would take any grade level and I meant it. What happened though was they hired a new teacher who has been working with the older grades for 27 years and she wasn't comfortable with K. Originally they didn't put me there because they didn't want both of the K teachers to be new. The other K teacher just did her student teaching under our previous K teacher so she knows the schedule and what our K program looks like. We'll both be scrambling I'm sure with how to do IEP, assessments, etc. I like her though because she is very hard working. That's always a plus in my book! Here's the other kicker. Apparently when I went to our extended school year program this morning as a college requirement, the previous K teacher used that information and bragged about me when she ate lunch with our Principal today. :D

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

Cool, cut!! I taught K for 2 years and loved it- I'm sure you will too...I actually still keep a hand in K- my second graders buddy up with a K class once a week for 'Reading Buddies' time. :love: I think it's great that you are working with another 'new' teacher- you will have a gret time bouncing ideas off one another. Congratulations!!

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 22, 2009

Congrats on getting something closer to your comfort level. Hope its a great year.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2009

That sounds great cNg!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 22, 2009

I thought something was up on the vista thread - "why is cutNglue talking about K, she's teaching 5th" :lol: :lol: should have read this thread first

Congrats :)

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 22, 2009

Welcome to Kinder CnG! It's a rare breed of teacher who can be comfortable with 5th and K. If I can help at all with anything as you prepare-just let me know!

Those kiddoes will be lucky to have you teaching them! :)

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 22, 2009

Kindergarten is a lot of fun. My fourth graders visit their Book Buddies class in kindergarten every few weeks, and it's fun to complete little hands-on projects with them.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

Congrats, cutnglue! Thank goodness you didn't collect a lot of 5th grade 'Americana' stuff already.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

K is slightly out of my comfort zone because they start almost from scratch but they are 100% more in my comfort zone than 5th. Plus I just like the kinds of stuff little kids get to do in their classes.

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

I am so happy for you -- you landed in a wonderful spot!

12. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2009

Yay!! You have waaaaay more courage than I do. Kindergarden terrifies me. Good luck!! I'm glad, after last year, that you'll be working with a hard working (NICE) teacher.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

Kinder used to terrify me. It still does for the beginning portion of the year. Where to get started is my biggest question since I've never seen it. At the same time, I feel at peace. I like little kids. I like the stuff we do with them. I like taking things down to the very basic. I like trying to figure out how to go 10 different ways to teach 10 different kids. I like learning what makes their brains tick. I like that they are wiggle worms and need movement activities. So do I! I like that they are so incredibly enthusiastic and teachers are their idols.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2009

How great is that!!! Congrats!!!

I always brace myself when the principal or AP calls over the summer. I honestly don't care what courses I teach, but a summer phone call almost always means a change of plans.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

I did laugh at my P today and told her that now I'm going to have to print a few new books since I already printed the curriculum and all the curriculum guides, etc for 5th grade. She looked so stricken and concerned and offered to replenish the paper. Haha. My husband just bought me a new printer (with a scanner and copier), 6 months of ink and plenty of paper. Our school always runs out of paper so I told her I didn't need the paper but if she can make sure I get a good classroom library then I will be satisfied.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2009

cutNglue, you would've done fine, and more than fine, with the fifth graders and their testing.

17. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 22, 2009

TG, I wasn't really worried about the content of the course. There was a lot more to 5th grade that I was worried about than that. Even so, I would have been fine. I'm just much happier with younger kids and thrilled the opportunity is being offered.

18. miss jennifer

miss jennifer Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

Congrats!!!

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 23, 2009

Congrats. It's nice to be told about a change that feels like a change for the better.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2009

cutNglue, I know you weren't worried about the content - but you did mention above that fifth grade is a testing year; all I'm saying is that you could be a powerful force for helping kids not flip out when they're tested.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 23, 2009

True.

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 23, 2009

This is wonderful, cNg! Sounds like your P has a lot of confidence in you too.

Oh my! I never even thought of that. I think if I saw my principal's number come across my caller ID it would be horrible news of some sort. :eek:

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2009

Congrats CNG~I think that you will make a wonderful K teacher!!

24. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 23, 2009

I'm so excited! I went to look at my room today and brought my kids. They hadn't seen the new building yet. I SOOO wish they had a floor plan ready though because I was doing foot paces to draw a picture so I can start thinking about the arrangement, etc. That's about all I have time to do until I finish my college classes then I can focus on the important stuff.