Change in Students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ready2learn, Sep 5, 2021.

1. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 5, 2021

I teach middle school, and this year have noticed several students seem more immature. Not necessarily in a bad way, but in the way that I feel I am teaching a grade lower (which I taught for several years and loved.) I am thinking this is because of the pandemic. Most students in my school were hybrid last year until the last 3 months of school when they were in school 5 days a week. However, some of these students were virtual last year the entire year. Is anyone else noticing this immaturity in their students this year? Any other behaviors you notice as a result of pandemic teaching/ school reopening plans?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2021

Yes, they’re much more immature. The 6th graders seem like elementary kids. The 8th graders remind me of the 7th graders I used to teach.

ready2learn and nstructor like this.
  4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 5, 2021

We have had a lot worse behavior out of our 8th graders. We are having to clamp down much harder this early in the year than I've ever seen. We usually have to get stricter in the spring. We have had fights, kids trashing bathrooms, kids bullying each other online. On top of the pandemic stuff, the beginning of the year has been pretty bad.

ready2learn likes this.
  5. Jessica Parker

Jessica Parker New Member

Sep 8, 2021

Thanks for sharing such types of great information for students