Change and fear

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Zelda~*, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Dec 29, 2016

Hi all,

It's been ages since I've been here. :)

I have spent 8 years teaching a classroom for students with Emotional Disturbances. For the 2017-18 school year, I have decided I'm in need of a change, for my own mental health and well-being. I know in my heart it's the right call.

But, boy, change is scary. I don't think anyone will begrudge me for leaving after that long, but, I worry. I've already sent one application out, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for overcoming that trepidation of finding a new place with new people, etc? And leaving some great people behind, at that?

3. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Dec 29, 2016

Welcome back, I'm new here myself. But, you don't need to necessarily leave those wonderful contacts behind! That's the power of social media today, and you all can stay in touch. Linkedin or Facebook are great, my P actually has a twitter account for one herself and the other for the school. You may be able to ask some of them as references, as some schools will want not only supervisor references but also references from friends or colleagues.
    :)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 29, 2016

I get it! I haven't been in my position as long as you have, but I'm applying elsewhere after 3 years at the same school, and it's hard. I just try to focus on the reasons I'm leaving and the reasons I can't stay. Journaling has really helped me this year. Reading about the population I want to work with has helped, as well.

ED is quite a tough population to teach, and 8 years is a long time! I think your decision is definitely a wise one.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 30, 2016

Change is often scary, but usually good things come out of it. If you are unhappy, then wanting to change is very reasonable. No one can blame, you, you gave it a shot for 8 years, it's not like you want to quit after 6 months.
    I say go for it! And like Secondary Teach said, you don't have to cut ties with your current friends at your school, you can stay in touch and social media is perfect for that.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2016

You have a tough job so no one should begrudge your need for change.

I moved this past summer and keep in touch with the people closest to me. It can be done.

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Dec 30, 2016

Thank you all. :) I appreciate the understanding, you have no idea, lol.

And it's true, social media is a good thing. I might try journaling, that's a good idea. I think that will remind me why I need to change and help keep me focused.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 1, 2017

I just moved after 4 years. It was very hard, but the change was right. Don't worry about staying in touch with colleagues. You make time for the people you care about. Otherwise, maybe some of those people served their purpose when you needed them and now it's time to move on. Ex: I speak more to my good friend who moved across the country to Vegas than my casual friend who moved across the city I currently live in.

Definitely reflect on what you enjoy about your current school/position and ask a LOT of questions of your potential new workplaces. I'm sure you know what you value in a school at this point.

yellowdaisies likes this.