Chances of becoming a para

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newpara, Aug 26, 2015.

1. newpara

newpara New Member

Aug 26, 2015

Hello, I got an interview for a Special Ed. para job at the middle school. She didn't specify what type of classroom the position was for, but its full time. This is going to be my first interview at the public school level. I only have volunteer experience and haven't worked with middle school aged kids before. I will be interviewing with the special ed. coordinator and possibly the principal and a teacher. I'm not sure what to expect and if I am qualified enough for the position. I do have a second grade son who is special needs, and my volunteer work was with his preschool program and book fairs at the elementary school. Any advice would be appreciated. I am really interested in getting experience and working with kids.

Thanks

3. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 26, 2015

What are the qualifications to be a para in your state? Some require passing an exam and others require a certain number of college credits or a minimum of an associates degree.

4. smile3

smile3 Rookie

Aug 27, 2015

Depends on who if this is for the upcoming school year they may want someone fast! Most require 60 college credits

Typical Q's

Why Middle School?

Why do you like working with this age group?

Tell me about yourself-

Your Education-

How would your co-workers describe you

How would kids describe you

Just go in with confidence! They are looking for someone who is willing to learn from their peers and the kids

5. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 27, 2015

One time I was aske "So, why do you think you are qualified to work with this age group?"

6. newpara

newpara New Member

Aug 29, 2015

@bros the qualifications are 60 credit hours, which I have about 90.
    Thanks for the sample questions bros and smile3. I had the interview and she said she'd call Monday. I also received a call from another school district for an interview.

May I ask do you think I should mention having a spec. Ed. child? I said it in the interview as the elementary positions they have available may involve interaction with my son. As additional experience since I only have volunteer experience would it be beneficial or hurt my chances mentioning a being a parent of a speech delayed child in CI classes?

7. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 29, 2015

You could mention that your son made you want to become a para.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2015

Having experience with IEPs and the whole SPED background is beneficial. As the parent of a classified student, you have insight and expertise that will exceed your actual coursework, and I absolutely would include that if the job has to do with special ed. Besides, it will probably spill out as you describe your volunteer experiences, so make it a focal point, if you are comfortable recounting the process as it affects you and your son. Parents of SPED students know that this is sometimes a hard row to hoe, and we know about the disappointments and the joyful accomplishments, so yes, share professionally. I know that I did, and the fact that I had truly taught myself about all aspects of SPED and how it impacted my son, I was able to converse very literally about the situation. Best of luck. :hugs:

9. renard

renard Companion

Aug 29, 2015

I have a child with Autism. It benefited me greatly for the interview, because I already had five years experience of disability behaviour management.