CHAMPS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blue-eyed mom, Feb 15, 2008.

1. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 15, 2008

I'm on my school's discipline committee. We are going to be restructuring our entire school plan and going to a CHAMPS model. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Things to watch out for?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 16, 2008

I love, love, love CHAMPs!!!

Our school has been on a CHAMPs model for quite awhile. We've had whole school trainings twice, and then a few of us have gone to the multi-day workshops, too. We have items in place for all common areas, and it makes things work much more smoothly.

The key is to make sure that everyone has plenty of time to get everything in place, and that you have a support plan in place to help people who need assistance.

4. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Feb 16, 2008

We used the CHAMPS model in my Classroom Mngt. class, and I loved it then. I haven't implemented the entire program now since I am coming into a classroom mid-year, but I am using some of it, and I think it has made a big difference.

The things I like most are the routines and transitions and having students refer to the charts to know if they can talk/sharpen pencil, ect during that activity. Those little things go a long way.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2008

I love CHAMPS. I would like to suggest that in addition to the support of CHAMPS you implement some other behavioral management techniques. CHAMPs definitely reduces the behavior but you need some ways to deal with the misbehaviors. I have found CHAMPs is great in most ways, except for handling misbehavior (with middle schoolers).

6. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 17, 2008

Did you all go full force with CHAMPS the first year? Or did you implement it slowly over time? One of the ideas our counselor tossed out to us was to implement it in stages. I think she's hoping to get more by-in from staff that way. We have some teachers that are going to be very resistent to change.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 17, 2008

Could you recommend a CHAMPS website? My school is implementing a school-wide behavior plan and I feel like they are pulling things from everywhere but we still don't have a plan that makes sense. It might work out better if they had a program that they maybe make adaptations to.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 17, 2008

A few people jumped in with both feet the first time, and the rest managed to hold off some and do small steps. We did the full-school common areas the following year. We sent a group of teachers to multiple trainings, and they'd come back and train the rest of the staff.

I've found that Harry Wong and Fred Jones have ideas that are very compatible with the CHAMPs philosophy.

This is the only site I know about that is directly related to CHAMPs. Randy Sprick's CHAMPs Program

I share samples of my CHAMPs stuff all the time so people can see what it's about before buying the book. Anyone is welcome to send me a PM and I'll send it to you. You'll just have to send me your email address, too, because I have to send you some attachments.

9. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Feb 17, 2008

10. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 22, 2008

I need to look into that. I've had the book for two years but I had such a negative reaction from the patronizing presenter I filed it away. One of my good friends at school swears by it.