CHAMPS

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2019

I am strongly considering using CHAMPs as part of my classroom management plan for next year. After my first year, I learned a lot and classroom management is one thing that I want to improve upon for next year.

I believe it stands for Conversation (voice levels) , Help (how do I ask for help) , Activity (independent, partner/group work or whole class) , Movement, Participation, Success. I’m not sure what they mean by Success?

Last year, I struggled with clear expectations. For example, the kids in one of my classes had to stay in their seats unless they had permission because the out of seat behavior was terrible in one of my classes in the beginning. I would like to be more clear about this and explain to kids that we stay in our seats during whole class time (the only exception being a bathroom emergency and needing a tissue) and we have limited movement (or move responsibly) during partner/group work or the Do Now. (Ex. someone is sharpening their pencil, we wait until they’re done, we don’t sharpen our pencils to socialize, etc.) and that way the kids don’t have to ask for permission. I figure I could speak with kids individually if it’s some students who take advantage of this.

I also like the Conversation part of this because I want to monitor noise levels in the classroom and set clear expectations for this from the beginning. During my intervention block, I am going to pull small groups while the rest of the class does prodigy or another computer game, so I want them to definitely be working quietly and whispering if they need to ask a partner.

My concern is whether this would be too “elementary” for 6th grade. I was thinking of framing this as “I like to know what is expected of me before I start a task or activity. We will have different expectations depending on what we are doing in this class, so I want to make that clear so everyone can be successful.” I was also wondering if I will have to review each aspect of CHAMPS before each activity or just in the beginning if the year?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2019

I don’t use all of the symbols included in the book, but I go over the expectations before each activity all year long. When working with groups, I’ll put up a written copy if it seems the kids are having trouble in the recent past.

I don’t think it would be too elementary if expectations were written out. I taught this method to my mom the year she had a very immature junior class. It worked.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 31, 2019

I have used CHAMPs for many years. I love it because it makes so much sense. It also works within lots of other programs. We are a PBIS school, and I use CHAMPs.

It works well for all levels, even adults,

I have a bulletin board with all of them on it, and I post each individual one depending on what we are doing. I teach each procedure as we first use it, and I retract as they get it. I post them the entire year so I can refer to them as needed.

Here is my CHAMPs board. (The ‘s’ wasn’t part of it when I started using it, so I never picked it up. ‘How do you know when you are successful?’ seems redundant to me.)

CHAMPs Board

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Jul 31, 2019

6. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Companion

Jul 31, 2019

Champs was big in our school before PBIS. We did not use it for long, but I still use the parts of it that worked well. The kids need to know what is expected and when. Working in groups, during instruction, and practice times, I have such different expectations of conversation level. They need to know when it is or isn't appropriate to do a lot of stuff. I do not think 6th grade is too old for Champs. We do not use PBIS correctly at our school so it is pretty useless.

7. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2019

What do you think of something like this where I would go over expectations for each activity? I could print it on slightly larger paper and turn it horizontal so the kids could see and use pointer magnets to point to each one.

https://thesciencepenguin.com/2012/08/classroom-pics-and-organization.html

Another option would be to have the posters and pull each poster out depending on what we are doing.

For help, the one time I don’t want the kids to ask for help is the Do Now. Is that a fair expectation and how would I put that on the chart? (I like kids to try it because it is review and I have to take attendance and get set up.)

Do you think that posting the voice levels is also necessary?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 1, 2019

Really any way that works for you is fine. I hated flipping posters and moving magnets, so I use electronic versions whenever possible.

“Keep trying until Teacher is available”, maybe? Personally I always give them the option to ask another student, ask me, or look something up.

Absolutely! That’s one of my most necessary parts for my 8th graders. They can’t seem to remember what each level islk,e they’ve never been asked to whisper during their entire academic career.

bella84 likes this.
  9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2019

Thanks! I like the idea of having a whole board for all of the expectation like you do. However, I just don't have the room since I've already decided what to do for all my bulletin boards and finished them. I have some space in the front of my room (it's like a magnet board), so I could move the magnet depending on the activity (but I don't have space for each type of activity). But I could see it getting really redundant if I'm switching the magnet several times during each class period ALL year...but again, maybe it will help me remember to go over the expectations with the kids.