CHAMPS - What is it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jun 26, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 26, 2014

I just got an email from my principal saying I have training for the CHAMPS program and that it will be implemented in every classroom this year?

I'm going to google it but was just curious if anyone knows about it and how well it works in the classroom?

Thanks in advance

3. live

live Companion

Jun 26, 2014

CHAMPS basically allows you to express your expectations for each of the following during a given time...
    C: Conversation (Can students talk? How loud?)
    H: Help (How should students get help? From a friend? From you?)
    A: Activity (What are students doing?)
    M: Movement (Can students get out of their seats? Only to get supplies? To visit a friend?)
    P: Participation (Are students in small groups? Working in partners? Independently?)
    S: Success

My school "uses" it. Meaning, we all have CHAMPS posted, but it gets tiresome to keep up with it (i.e. change the cards during each transition...transitions happen so often!). I also found that as the year went on, the students already knew my expectations. Then again, I'm also a 5th grade teacher, so the students have been practicing going to school a bit longer than your 1st graders. The visual may make it easier for the young ones.

With all that, it was a nice tool for discussing expectations with students at the beginning of the year. For me, it served as a reminder of expectations that needed to be addressed.

4. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Jun 26, 2014

I agree that it's tiresome. And my kids REBELLED against it. They hated it. I think they were worse for it.

We implemented it last year for our Grade 7 classes because they were out. of. control. Seriously. Not one of their teachers had any semblance of control. The school psychologist worked with them and this is what she thought would help. They ended up telling us that CHAMPS was like they were being treated like dogs. A little extreme and dramatic, but it did nothing to help our issue.

5. missgfl

missgfl Rookie

Jun 26, 2014

It is useful for setting expectations at the beginning of the year, as others have noted. By October my class didn't need reminders of what conversations level was expected of them during center time, and it was a pain in the butt to change the CHAMPS board for every single activity.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 26, 2014

I've used CHAMPs for years. I love it. Most of the work falls on the teacher, though. If the teacher isn't willing to commit to it, it's going to bomb.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 29, 2014

I was trained to be a campus trainer but my school dropped it soon after. I thought there were some great parts that I used anyway.