Challenging "higher" kids

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Silmarienne, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 15, 2010

I have a couple of kids this year who are so stinkin' smart.

We use Saxon Phonics, which starts out soooo basic, and they really are ready for less repetition and more of a challenge. Do you have any things you do for kids who are really ready for more? I don't want them to get bored or think that because it's so easy for them, that they don't have to put effort in.

Thanks!

3. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

Having never taught the "wee ones," this is unchartered territory for me. However, is it appropriate for these kids to prgress to the next step? Does everyone have to progress at the same pace? I do have several advanced kids that work on multi-media projects when they master the skill being covered. Do you have access to computers? Maybe they could do something on that. It's nice to hear a problem such as yours - as opposed to most of the difficulties out there. Keep up the good work! :2up:

4. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 15, 2010

Well, it isn't the whole group, in fact I have one kid who is lower than any I've yet had-- she needs one-to-one help a LOT, even to write her name. I just have a couple kids who could maybe be doing something else semi-independently a couple of times a week while the rest do their phonics work-- something like that.

Thanks!

5. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 15, 2010

Thank you!

7. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

I also have two advanced students. My aide has started doing AR reader with them, so they are checking books out of the library. She is monitoring their tests, etc. Also, she takes them on Fridays to do "extra" activities such as science experiments (her mom is a hs science teacher, so she has some good resources).

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 15, 2010

If you do small group, you could definitely be helping them learn phonics skills they are ready for-blends, silent "e" rule, etc. Let them do reading response projects to books they read. Go deeper in to the objectives everyone else is doing.

Still a work in progress, but I blog about some projects I've done with Kinder (I know now it says 1st Grade, but most of it was with my advanced Kinder students).

9. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 17, 2010

Wow, thanks. Great ideas!! :)