Challenging High Students

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by caliteach78, Oct 5, 2009.

1. caliteach78

caliteach78 Rookie

Oct 5, 2009

Last year was my first year in Second Grade and I had a very low class. It was also a class of special needs, ESL and many behavior problems. This year I have a smaller class and few behavior problems. The only thing is they are all really high. I'm having trouble (after last year) challenging my higher kids in Language and Math. We have Saxon Math, which is pretty laid out for you and Houghton Mifflin reading. I just want to know what other people do in a normal class with high acheivers. Thank you !

3. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

I split my class into groups for reading. That way I can challenge the high students with tougher work. For math we do timings, and that is go at your own pace. So if they mastered the addition I'd try to get them to master subtraction and after that work on them mastering multiplication. My only real way to challenge is small groups.

4. FirstRose

FirstRose New Member

Oct 26, 2009

I am having the same problem with Saxon Math. A parent wants more challenging Math for their child but Saxon doesn't really cater to that very well.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 29, 2009

Okay, here's what I do:
    1. I assign monthly book reports. Each month, students write a book report on an assigned genre. For instance, for the month of October, students read some sort of mystery book (i.e. Cam Jansen book). Then, they were responsible for writing a book report about the mystery book they chose. For the month of November, students conducted Internet research and read non-fiction books about animals (each student was assigned a different animal). They are currently working on finishing up their Internet research and they're wrapping up their reading. This week, we'll be writing our Animal Research Reports. Like I said, each month has a different theme or genre.
    2. For math, I always follow my district pacing calendar, and I always teach the California State Standards; however, I expand on things. For instance, all 2nd graders in CA need to know how to multiply by 2s, 5s, and 10s. My students have mastered 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, and 10s. We are currently working on memorizing our 9s. Also, we use a myriad of online math games and programs because the math program is much too easy.
    3. For homework, the students write nightly journal summaries about the chapter book they are currently reading. This helps me know if they truly comprehend the book they've chosen, and it also helps with their writing skills.

-->Side note: I teach GATE (Gifted & Talented Education), so I have a class-full of high kids. Please let me know if you need other tips/suggestions!!! =)

6. looneyteachr

looneyteachr Companion

Nov 29, 2009

teach to the top!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 29, 2009

I put the higher kids in books on their level, you can use literature circles and they can do book talks.

For math, I have a 3rd grade teacher ed. and several 3rd grade math books and let the very highest kids go at their own pace. I'll have two or three kids at my desk, teach a mini lesson, and let them work on their math while the others are doing the regular math. I've taught them how to check their own work circling problems they got wrong and if they don't understand what they've missed I explain it to them. Works wonderfully in my gifted class. Even with identified gifted kids I stilll have a variety of levels.

As the PP said, "Teach to the top", challenge those kids!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 29, 2009

I believe that children in a gifted class need to learn GRADE LEVEL standards. There are a myriad of extensions that can be used during mathematics instruction without dipping into the 3rd grade material. Here's my concern: What are they going to learn when they enter 3rd grade math if they're already learned it all in 2nd grade? Pretty boring! :2cents:

I do, however, like your idea about book talks! :thumb: