Challenging first grade students

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snoopy78, Sep 5, 2013.

1. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Sep 5, 2013

I have three students in my first grade working at second grade level in reading and math. I want to challenge them, but not give them "worksheets" to do. In the past we've been able to do reading groups either with an assistant or as a grade level, but are unable to do that with staff cuts. We are taking AR tests, but don't use Amath anymore. Any suggestions for projects they can do independently? Thanks!

3. ktdclark

ktdclark Comrade

Sep 5, 2013

How about having them work on a group project? Something related perhaps to their reading or investigation on a topic with guiding questions from you....

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 5, 2013

Xtramath.org is a free website that you can set your kiddos up on - all of them! You decide what skills they will practice - addition, subtraction, addition & subtraction, multiplication, division, multiplication and division, you get the picture. They can access it at school or at home, and you receive weekly reports about your kiddos' progress via email! Last year, by April, I had a first grade student who had moved to division!

My higher firsties always loved chapter books - Junie B. Jones - Magic Treehouse, etc. They also loved writing book reports/reviews.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 6, 2013

Do you have access to a computer in class? Could you assign them some sort of research to provide more in-depth knowledge of what you're teaching the others?

Perhaps show them www.natgeokids.com and have them come up with something related to the science lesson you're doing.

That way they could find some cool things for their classmates, and not be given busy work.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 6, 2013

Don't forget to take time to check in with them. Even bright kids can get stuck on some odd little thing, and bright kids have no less a need than kids who are behind to know that they can get help when they need it.

7. snoopy78

snoopy78 Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

Yes, I have two computers. They are old and very slow. What are some good web searches? I may try research project on animals. Thanks!

8. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 10, 2013

Thanks for this resource! I am setting my class up on it tonight. I love giving them opportunities to practice skills at home on the computer.