Challenging Books for 5th graders? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by skywalker, Sep 11, 2008.

1. skywalker

skywalker Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

I need some titles of challenging 5th grade books. I have almost half my kids reading at a 7th grade level. Especially fantasy and realistic fiction that is 5th grade appropriate, but challenging. My kids have read EVERYTHING!..so I need some of your obscure titles. THANKS! :help:

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

What about Freak the Mighty? I love that book - the theme is powerful and the situations are socially complex. Same for Tiger Rising (DiCamillo). Not obscure, but challenging - The Yearling.

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 11, 2008

How about The Egypt Game, The Giver, or the Redwall series? They may not be the most obscure, but they can be taught at different levels so could be rather challenging. What about teaching some of the classics? Kids today could still be in the dark about such books as Robinson Crusoe, Swiss Family Robinson, The Cay, and Little Women and Little Men. It's been a while since I read some of these so I can't be sure just how challenging (or age appropriate) they are though.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 11, 2008

Also, some classics are public domain (no copyright) and therefore cheaper to purchase. A paperback from the children's section costs me more than a copy of Sense & Sensibility.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 11, 2008

The Cay is a good one because it gives a perspective of WWII from the islands. Also, the language is challenging.

7. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

City of Ember and the others that accompany it, Chasing Vermeer (a lot can be done with the art aspect, etc.), also all the Great Illustrated Classics are written on a 6th grade reading level-- my students (even my boys) really enjoy these, especially Robinson Crusoe, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

8. tbed63

tbed63 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Johnny Tremain.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 11, 2008

What about The Lightning Theif and other books in the series. They have tons of references to Greek mythology. It would be a great lead in to a study of mythologies from different parts of the world.