Challenge Capsules

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2010

I saw the idea for Challenge Capsules on here a week or so ago. But I'm curious, if any one else does this, what is a good resource for these questions? What would you use as questions? I'm hoping to have all different subjects. Some of them could be math word problems. I'm thinking some of them could be open ended science questions too. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 14, 2010

I posted about them. I am using some easter eggs as my capsules. I haven't totally figured out what I am putting inside them. I have been thinking about going to the dollar store and buying one of those puzzle books with soduko in them. And another one with word puzzles. Then tearing out the pages and viola......:lol:

I don't want to "make" a bunch of stuff to go in those. So I would be interested to know what others think as well.

4. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 14, 2010

I used these for Homeworkopoly. I typed up questions from a Brainquest game and cut them into strips that I placed inside the capsules. The questions were great because they covered all subject areas!

5. Teaching Grace

Jul 15, 2010

I'm actually thinking about using Jaszatalville's Cranium Commanders in some of my eggs. They are great questions with a wide difference between the different activities.

How many are you making to start with? I think I'm going to start with about 24 (that's the pack of eggs that I have to use).

6. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I've become very interested in doing this after reading this thread and the original one from Julie in GA. Just our of curiosity, how will the capsules be dispensed to your kids? I'd love to get a toy dispenser (you know...like a gumball machine, but for the capsules), but I'm sure that would cost an arm and a leg!

Any thoughts?

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

Or....have slips of paper and a coffee can or something and kids can submit questions!

They would have to write the question, the answer and their source- they can do it at home and to encourage them to do this you could pull 1 question a week and give whoever wrote it a prize.

8. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Thanks! Those are awesome. I think I may borrow the idea all together and just have the kids pull an egg to earn a star and become a "Cranium Commander." I like that the questions could be reused multiple times too. I'm all about easy!

Oh and I'm planning to put my eggs in a big fabric storage box that I found at the dollar store.

9. Teaching Grace

Jul 16, 2010

I'm going to my eggs in a basket. Each egg will be numbered. The students will have a sheet with the numbers of each egg. That way when they complete the egg, it will go back into the basket, and they will just mark off the number that they completed. They will also have a sheet that they have to turn in where they will write the number of the egg on the top. This way, it'll be easier to keep track of what ones they've done- no repeats- and they'll be reused too.

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 23, 2010

Yes, I got the idea from Mrs. Renz, but wrote my own questions. :) Of course, I credited her because she's such an inspiration. I love the Mastery Club. I plan on making Cranium Commanders a little better this year, though. I may edit some things on that page soon.