chalkboards are gross.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

So I got into my new room today. It has two chalk boards plus a smaller white board. I can't stand chalk. It gives me the heebie jeebies! Anyway I have two of them in my classroom.

I posted pics here:
    http://teachingwithimagination.blogspot.com/

Since I have whiteboard space I'm not concerned with using them for instruction. What would you do with them?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

I LOVE chalkboards!!

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

cover them with the write on wipe off huge post its.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I totally agree chalk makes my hands crack and the room dusty.
    I requested whiteboard but I didn't get them :(
    Boo budget.

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

Mine are magnetic, so I use them for bulletin boards

7. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 2, 2010

I have 2 huuuuuuge chalkboards. I cover them with fabric and border to make bulletin boards. :)

8. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Aug 2, 2010

After 3 years of using a chalkboard I developed sinus problems. As soon as I moved out of that classroom and used a whiteboard, my sinus problems went away. I don't enjoy chalkboards!!

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 2, 2010

How do you attach items to the fabric?

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2010

I loved my old chalkboard. I did use lots of lotion on my hands, and I often had a chalk dust line across my behind from bumping the chalk tray . . . but I still loved it. It was a really old black slate board. It was really, really great!

We moved to our new building with white boards. I hate them. After two years I developed a severe chemical allergy to the dry erase markers. I have to use window crayons and wax pencils on my board. Thankfully I have a SmartBoard, so I mainly use my whiteboards for bulletin boards.

Are your boards magnetic? You can also use hot glue on the boards. It peels off easily.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2010

I agree about making them into bulletin boards.

12. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

I have two whiteboards in my classroom; I'd prefer two chalkboards.

I plan on using the whiteboards as the primary source of instruction in my classroom, so covering them with fabric wouldn't be an option for me.

13. janney

janney Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

Just reading the word chalkboard gives me the shivers and makes me imagine someone dragging their nails down it.

14. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 2, 2010

I HATE chalk. Luckily, in we got rid of them because the chalk dust is bad for Smart Boards.

15. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 2, 2010

i do the same thing. If you need it for projection you could use white fabric...it works out better. I cant stand my chalkboard.

16. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Aug 3, 2010

I just use a tiny dot of hot glue. It comes off easily when I want to change out something.

I have also heard of teachers who put down a layer of cork first and then put fabric on top of that. Then you can staple or use thumbtacks.

17. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 3, 2010

I have chalkboards and would love to have whiteboards. I have found that washing the board frequently helps a great deal. I have a tendency not to do that, but also discovered that one of those long-handled car mop things (California car mop/duster??) does a GREAT job of getting the dust off and making it look freshly washed - try it, I will be very surprised if you don't love it.

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 3, 2010

How are you all attaching the fabric to the chalkboards? We don't even have the magnetic chalkboards, so I definitely can't stand mine.

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 3, 2010

I kind of like the old chalkboards, but they are messy if used as such. You can't paint over them, attach fabric or BB paper, even stencil them. Is yours magnetic? Then use for useful lists, posters, notifications, rules, etc.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2010

I am the only teacher in my school with a blackboard, I refuse to let them take it away. Far better than any whiteboard, the kids don't steal the chalk like they do the pens, the chalk never runs out (I have the whole school's supply)! plus the added bonus that any kids not paying attention can have a small piece of chalk thrown at them to re-focus their attention!

Word of warning gentlemen though, if you go to the restroom wash your hands before taking a leak otherwise you have telltale chalky fingerprints all down your fly!:rolleyes:

21. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 3, 2010

I have a chalkboard in my new classroom too and I hate it. It's at least a smooth, brown board instead of the horrid green ones... but with my allergies and my love for black pants, I really don't want it. I covered the bottom half with the whiteboard stick-on paper, but then I ran out. I think I might buy some more and finish it off...

22. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Aug 5, 2010

Mine are magnetic so I taped bulletin board paper and trimmer up and created a word wall/math board.

23. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 5, 2010

Me too!!! My room has a chalkboard on one side and a white board on the other. My students' desks are ALWAYS facing the chalkboard. I hate teaching math with a whiteboard. Those stupid markers are always drying out and I have a habit of "erasing" with my hand which doesn't work so well with markers!

24. MK2ndGrade

MK2ndGrade Rookie

Aug 5, 2010

I have one full wall that is a chalkboard in my new room. I also have a white board, a lined whiteboard and a Smartboard so I won't be using the chalkboard. I plan on using mine as bulletin board/poster space.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2010

I made my chalkboard into a BB using double sided duct tape.

26. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 5, 2010

I have one wall of my classroom as a chalkboard and on another wall I have a SmartBoard. I also have bad asthma-- so you can probably think of which one I will be using more often.

I'm really tempted into buying large amounts of poster foam board, adhering it to the chalkboard and putting nice fabric over the board to make it into a large bulletin board.

But I too am in the same boat and I'm praying they'll buy me a large whiteboard instead. :D

27. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

Has anyone here done the showerboard whiteboard?
    I went to Lowes to see what it was and it does look like it will work as a whiteboard. I'm just terrified of doing something to my classroom and getting in trouble since I'm still pretty new.

28. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 6, 2010

I have not - but it does intrigue me, too. Can you use 3M Command strips at the corners and a few at top/bottom to put it up over the existing chalkboard? I have had great luck with using these strips for things on the wall.

29. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

That is an AWESOME idea.
    I hung a mirror in my apartment using those so I'm sure it would work out beautifully on the board.
    You definitely solved my problem!

30. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2010

Chalboards still exist? I don't think I have seen them recently in any school.

31. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

My school hasn't been updated since it was built in the late 70's. We're lucky we have a tech lab LOL.

My boards aren't even magnetic. The strange thing is that every classroom has different boards, they must have done the school on a cheap budget and just took what they could get. My old room had those green chalkboards that were magnetic...three doors down (my room now) they are brown chalkboards that aren't magnetic. And downstairs my friend has another type of old chalkboard.
    Very random.

32. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

How much does the showerboard cost? I am paying $30 total for enough dry erase stick-ons to cover my entire chalkboard. My husband has experience doing car decals, so I had him stick it up so it would be straight.

Here's a link: http://godryerase.stores.yahoo.net/sestdryerro.html

33. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 6, 2010

The showerboard I saw was $13 for a 4 x 8 sheet