Chalkboard or Whiteboard?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2005

I just posted this on another thread. I had the last chalkboard dinosaur in my school. Yesterday they put up a large, magnetic, whiteboard in my room. Hallelujah!

2. deko9

deko9 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

Expo @ Markers

I love the EXPO 2 markers. they clean off easier and leave less streaks. After working with chalkboards for 9 years it took some getting use to but I do prefer white boards. HOWEVER, THEY ARE EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO SEE/USE FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED KIDS. THE BLACK CHALK BOARD WITH WHITE OR YELLOW CHALK WAS MUCH EASIER FOR THEIR VISUAL FIELDS. SO THEY ARE GREAT BUT MAKE SURE YOU KNOW YOUR POPULATION YOUR TEACHING!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 10, 2005

My school is only five years old---everything is white board!! I love it. I still have fears of chalk after years of screeching boards as I was growing up!! :-D In K, our white boards more often are used for displays and temporary "post it" lessons like safety signs, etc. But they're great, easy-to-clean, and colorful... I use it for demonstrating letter writing, recording "Student of the Day" info, and other things. Great invention!!

4. CrazyS2005

CrazyS2005 Rookie

Sep 10, 2005

If I had a classroom, I'd prefer a whiteboard. Why you ask? I think it's much more vivid, eye catching. It's also a lot easier to write on, cleaner, and easier to wipe off (if you don't leave it on there for a really long time.)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2005

I wonder if it would help for visual impairment if there were markers with especially fat tips, like the extra wide permanent markers. Another possibility, I suppose, would be to use the markers that are designed for DARK write-on wipe-off surfaces (can't very well talk about a black whiteboard, now, can we?) on a dark surface - maybe contact paper laid over black poster board?

6. Cole

Cole Companion

Sep 10, 2005

Groupie,

I will have to look into the whitboard roll thing.

My district won't have a problem with me even using the ones with adhesive bc we had a bond pass this summer and will be in a new building in about 2 years (YAY!!!). The new building is supposed to have all white boards, so we will see. The new building is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO needed. My school is cool and there is a lot of history there, but it is old (built in the 30s by the civilian corps) and not upkept enough as it should've been and its time for a new one.

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2005

My mom is also a teacher. She teaches AP English in the school I attended. Last year she was so excited when the administration said they were getting white boards for her room. When she saw them in the summer, she thought it was strange that the board was grey, but the admin insisted they were dry erase boards. So, my mom went out and bought lots of colored markers, and erasers since the school wouldn't provide them with anything but black. She used the markers but had the hardest time getting the board clean and demolished a couple of erasers. It turns out the admin ordered chalkboards instead of dry erase boards. To make things worse, she liked to use colored chalk to make somethings stand out and only white or yellow chalk shows up on her new board. I hate to say this, but I'm not surprised the principal doesn't know the difference. He was a coach at the school when I attended and I never thought he had many working brain cells.

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2005

I have both in my classroom. I prefer the white board, just handier, and the kids love the different colored markers. I still use the chalkboard quite a bit, either one is fine. After reading all of these posts, I think Amanda will have to add a "whiteboard" avatar to the list, then a lot of people can replace the little chalkboard ones with whiteboards......tee hee! :p

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 11, 2005

Me too. I will only use the EXPO brand markers on my white board. The other brands I've used are hard to erase. I always get students buy those cheap off brand ones. It says specifically on my list to get the EXPO brand. I understand they're trying to save money on school supplies. It can get so expensive.
    I also only use the fat markers. The skinny ones are to hard to see in the back of the room.

10. willibe

willibe Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

How did you make the 24 small white boards? I really want some to use in my class and a local store sells them, but they are a little expensive and I am trying to see if there is a way to make them for less.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 4, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ!

This is an old thread, willibe. Several members have described how they made their white boards recently. Use the search feature at the top and type in the keywords. You will find some great advice.

12. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jan 4, 2006

I moved rooms last year just so I could get a room with a whiteboard. Its amazing how much junk I accumulated.

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jan 4, 2006

While this thread is back up, can some one tell me again how to clean a particularly cheap white board, the little bottle of cleaner spray that came with it doesn't work very well.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 4, 2006

I use the Expo whiteboard cleaner that you can buy at Wal-Mart. My mom uses a type of alcohol (I can't remember the exact name but it's one that is used in cleaning business's) to remove permanent marker from hers.

I bought my student whiteboards at a Party Supply Store. They're actually posterboards that are wipe-off material. They make the regular size posterboard (about $1.50 each) and they make packages of 8 1/2" by 11" (4 per package-$1).

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 4, 2006

Oh! You can hole punch them and have the students keep them in their notebooks (like their writing notebook).

16. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2006

AT first I loved my white board (beginning of this year) now I really don't like it at all. It seems like I have tried many different brands of markers and when I erase they always leave marks...like it doesn't completely erase....we call it ghost writing. WE had the company that made them come in and he said to use Windex or glass cleaner on them. Well I don't feel like wiping down my board once or twice a day. With my old chalkboard I would erase it daily and wash it down once a week. I wish I had it back!

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 4, 2006

When I bought mine, Home Depot cut it into one foot by one foot squares for me. The board was 8 by 4 so it gave me 32 boards. They cut it for free, but my friend's husband cut hers with a circular saw.

18. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Jan 5, 2006

I made little white boards with overhead film. I used poster board cut to the size I wanted, put a piece of film on each side. I actually put some first grade writing paper under the film on one side. Sealed the edges of the whole thing with red duct tape. Really cute, light weight, and easy for kids to use.

19. sillygal38

sillygal38 Rookie

Jan 5, 2006

Here is a little trick:

If you accidentally write on the whiteboard using a permanent marker, use an eraser to erase off the writing. It really works!

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 6, 2006

They also sell the whiteboards in magazines like Really Good Stuff. You can go to the website to see what they have. They have plain whiteboards, whiteboards that are magnetic, and whiteboards that are magnetic with Zaner-Bloser lines on one side. They can get pretty expensive depending on what type and how many you want.

21. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 7, 2006

I love using the scented white board markers. :) Especially the blueberry. Yum!

I have two white boards side by side and I was planning on using one to put up my word wall with magnets. I am pretty sure they are magnetic.. HOPEFULLY!

22. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 7, 2006

Scented dry erase markers?! Where did you find them and what is the brand name? I hate to admit this, but I am kind of excited:eek: .

23. mbbreen

mbbreen Rookie

Jan 7, 2006

I have a chalkboard and whiteboard side by side. I used both at the beginning of the year but dreaded cleaning the chalkboard (our janitors don't do that). So I eventually covered it up and turned it into an interactive bulletin board! I love it, the kids love it. I also use the whiteboard for my overhead projector. I have tried babywipes to clean and did NOT work. The school has the EXPO cleaner and that works great...however...do not use it while the kids are at recess, they come in and that is all they talk about! Wait for the end of the week so the smell can disipate!

24. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 8, 2006

Oh you should have seen me when I wrote something on the board with my mentor teacher's blue dry erase marker. I would keep walking by the board sniffing it. Hahaha. They smell SO GOOD! They are EXPO and I found them at the teacher store. I bought the little skinny ones so I can use them at home on my little white board. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one obsessed with scented markers!!! :D

25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 8, 2006

Hand sanitizer works pretty well as a cleaner.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 8, 2006

If you went the cheap way like me and did the shower board, the best things I have found is Clorox wipes. They do really well, just make sure you dry with a paper towel after using them. If you don't, and they don't dry evenly, the second you erase you get the outlines of the "blobs".

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 8, 2006

Oh man, I was just at a teacher store today:( I did not think of looking for them. I am going to phone them tomorrow though!!

28. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jan 8, 2006

I use socks too! I teach kinder and the kids think it's hysterical to erase with socks. :) White board days are a big hit. The magnetic paint idea is genius. Where do i buy it?

29. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jan 8, 2006

LOL I was just thinking the same thing! I love my smelly permanent markers I have to go buy scented dry erase now! Woo hooo

30. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 8, 2006

1stferg, I have to say, I am watching Predator so your AV through me at first! Then I realized it was flamingos! :D

We just have the cheapie dry erase markers, not even Expo. The school buys them; they are silver and smell!! When we are all usuing our dry erase boards it gets horrible in there!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 10, 2006

I like whiteboards better, but what I don't like is that those EXPO & other brand markers don't last long enough. I have yet to see someone writing w/ one that has strong, bold color, the ink starts fading way too quickly & you just have to buy them more often.

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 10, 2006

I end up chunking them once they go wonky like that. What I hate worse is when they squeak. I take it as long as I can and then they go in the kids tub. I write too much, too fast to listen to squeaking the whole time!!

33. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 10, 2006

I think that every school should be using the Smart Boards. They are terrific, but $$$.

34. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 10, 2006

I would love a Smart Board. The problem is that our school has one but the big shots (the people in the tech dept.) hide it so teachers can't use it. We have an office person who did the same thing with our poster printer. We didn't know we had one till we saw her shipping back the trial machine. When we went in to use the new one she gave us dirty looks and mean comments. She has now hidden the paper that goes to it.

35. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 10, 2006

Paper that goes with it? What paper is that?

There is one school that I sub at that is a very new building. This is just their second year in the building. Every classroom has a Smart Board that is permanently attached to the front wall. The projector is attached to the ceiling. They use it for everything! - morning announcements (like watching a tv news show), teaching, projecting what is on the teacher's computer, showing videos, etc.

36. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Jan 10, 2006

I have a giant whiteboard in my room and would never go back to a chalk board. I like being able to use all of the different colors and them showing up in a bold way to make things clear for understanding. I also think they have a better classroom appearance. :D

37. DustinD

DustinD Rookie

Jan 12, 2006

As for the cost of good markers, do what my high school did...Make it a school supply item for every student...You have markers galore...