Chalkboard or Whiteboard?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 26, 2005

Do you have a chalkboard or whiteboard? Which do you prefer?

I have a whiteboard this year, yet last year I had a chalkboard. I can already tell that I prefer the whiteboard for many reasons- easier to clean, better overall appearance, and probably easier to teach with than the chalkboard. It can also double up for overhead projection.

3. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I want whiteboards in my room. Our school doesn't have any of them. I was just thinking how could I get one in my room. Chalkboards are all right, but whiteboards just make learning more vivid.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 26, 2005

I've had both and much prefer whiteboards - they're so much easier for me to write on. In one room I didn't have a whiteboard, IndyJo, and I went to Lowe's and got a piece of showerboard (I think that is what it's called) cut and covered the chalkboard with it. There is also a product somewhat like contac paper that goes right on the chalkboard, but it is a bear to put up (too many wrinkles) and doesn't hold up very long. Any chance your principal or parent organization might help you out with real whiteboards?

5. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I have a whiteboard and I also have 24 small whiteboards for the kids to use individually. They are great and the kids love them, but when several of the kids are using them at once, the smell from the markers can knock you out! I know they make some markers that don't smell but I think they are pretty expensive.

6. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 26, 2005

Missy, I was just in Menards looking at those sheets and thinking if I could get one hung in my room somehow. Our bulletin boards and chalkboards are 4x4, so I could get a 4 x 8 sheet cut in half and see if our custodial staff could hang it for me. I'll have to check and see. My supervising teacher had the contact paper and used that board sporadically because he knew it would wear down.

7. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

I do not have my own classroom yet, but when I get one I hope I have both types. I still like chalkboard.

8. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Whiteboard is definitely my choice. I would rather use that than the overhead due to easy access and cleaning. No more chalk dust, either! What does everyone use to clean theirs with? I found that baby wipes work the best so far. I've heard that dry-erase board cleaners eventually wear the finish off. Any comments out there about this?

9. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I have the shower board idea in my classroom for next year and I HATE it. It is old and worn and will not erase with out whiteboard cleaner. That means that everytime you want to erase something you have to spray it down and clean it with a cloth. It is a royal pain. If I can get some cheaply I am asking my head costodian to put some new boards up.

10. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

I like whiteboards the best. The room I will be in has a white board and I am so excited to use all the colorful dry erase markers I bought. My student teaching class had a chalkboard and I found it to be messy.

11. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I have a chalkboard... was promised a white board two years ago, was just in my room yesterday.. still have a chalkboard.

I've never been lucky enough to have a whiteboard, I think I would like it much better.

12. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 26, 2005

Some dry erase markers smell more so than others... Mens old white sock tops make good erasers, day in and day out. Use alcohol wipes to get the stains. If you paint the back side of the individual boards with magnetic paint, you have a great magnetic board, also....

13. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Whiteboard, but which marker?

I prefer whiteboard because I have this weird phobia about squeaking chalk or scraping fingernails on the chalkboard... even if it hasn't happened, the thought that it might occur makes me cringe and effectively distracts me for some time...I know, I'm weird. :eek:
    Anyway, my trouble is finding a marker that's easy to write with, because I have AWFUL handwriting. The angle-tipped Expo ones are impossible for me to control and get faint in spots pretty quickly. It once took me an hour to get my boards ready for the next day! I want to model good manuscript for the kids, so has anybody found a good one? The smell isn't an issue... with a room full of kids this age, it might be a relief! :eek:

14. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

I love whiteboards. They are great when you are color-coding words an have a choice of many different colors. As for a cleaner, I use wipes and then dry with a papertowel.

15. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

the best looking board at the school I"m at was cleaned with plain water every day!
    that's it just plain water.

16. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I prefer whiteboards. My first year teaching I had chalkboards, and I used so much lotion. So definetly whiteboards.

17. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

For me, white board . In those days when i was in school we had chalkboards. Not good for health.

I love to have white board in my classroom. :)

18. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I have white boards as well....what is the best way to clean them?
    they are definitely better than chalkboards.

19. herins

herins Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I had whiteboards last year, and this year I'm stuck with chalkboards. I am soo disappointed. They won't replace them because I'll be changing classrooms next year due to a retirement. I bought a small one to hang, but it won't be nearly as good. I find that with chalkboards, I tend to use more paper, which I don't like to do.

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2005

I have two large white boards. I was hoping they were magnetic, like those that are in the inside classrooms, but they're not. Most I find are. You can use window clings on them as well. I've used mine as an overhead screen, but find that I like writing on the board and covering it up with the overhead screen. To get those W.boards sparkling white (looking like new), I use EXPO whiteboard cleaner. I clean mine about twice a month. an 8 fl. oz. bottle lasted all year.
    If we do activities with chalk, I go outside. My classroom is sitting in a parking lot that is blocked off. We can go outside anytime to do whatever activites. It's been a great resource. I'm going to miss it when we move to the second floor of the new school.

21. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I love whiteboards. Some people are allergic to chalk dust. I clean my whiteboard with windex. I found that yo have Lots of odor with generic whiteboard markers. Crayola dry erase markers are hard to erase without using a clearner.

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 26, 2005

Yeah, I've found the same thing. Generic markers are hard to erase. I've also found that the skinny ones are hard to get off as well. If you're not sure about a marker, test it out on a corner of your board. You don't want to write all over the board with a marker that's hard to get off.

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

For markers that are hard to get off, or if you accidentally use a permanent marker, so over the writing with a whiteboard marker... for some reason, this then means you can erase them... pretty cool. ;)

24. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 27, 2005

I have found some poster board at "The Party Store" in Fayetteville, Ar. that is perfect to use as a whiteboard. They have poster board size and paper size. I've bought enough for my students to each have one. It's pretty cheap, especially when you go during a sale. I bet you can find it at any party supply store or paper supply company.

25. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

I use windex and paper towels to clean my whiteboard...I use the cheap markers because they're all I can afford, but they come off easily with the windex.

I love whiteboards, chalk dust makes it hard for me to breathe. And they're so much cleaner, no dust on your fingers!

26. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2005

I have both types in my classroom, too, but the chalkboard in the back of the room is kind of covered up with reading and writing posters.

I didn't mind the chalkboard, and after a while I got used to it, but what drove me off the wall was when the chalk would wear down or when it would leave a trail on the floor or tray underneath the board.

27. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 27, 2005

For the whiteboards do you suggest I use EXpo low odor dry erase markers and the cleaner to go w/it of the same brand

28. gteacher

gteacher New Member

Jul 27, 2005

I had white boards for 2 years, then had chalk boards. This year I will have whiteboards again. I like both types. I enjoy writing on the chalkboard, and the whiteboard. The dust didn't bother me much. I am looking forward to using the whiteboard for a projector. If I had my choice, I'd have one of each.

29. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 27, 2005

I miss my chalkboards a lot. I always used a chalkboard cleaner on them so I never had problems with dust. Plus, I used colored chalk and chalk is so much cheaper and nicer for drawing. I am in a building that has been renovated with whiteboards in all the classrooms. The markers don't seem to last long and the smell bothers some of my students. The whiteboards don't work well with the overhead because of the glare and the fact that I usually have writing already on the board.

I would love to have my two large chalkboards back.

30. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Can someone explain to me the concept of "dustless" chalk? I keep seeing it in the stores and have to think, "Isn't that what chalk IS... dust?"

31. Yabasic

Yabasic Rookie

Aug 3, 2005

Well at my school, we have interactive whiteboards, so basically, you can save stuff and do loads of other cool things. It's also projected on to a special screen which you can control using a special pen. We only have a few of them in our school because they're very expensive but they're also brilliant for kids to use as well. I often like to randomly pick on a student to come up and complete an equation or something.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 3, 2005

Hey, I just saw the new bulletin board set that is like a chalkboard. It's so cute. You get 8 "chalkboards" and some other things to decorate it with. Chalk writes on it and wipes off with a dry tissue. It's only $11.95 at most of the educational stores I went to. You might want to check that out.

33. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 3, 2005

I taught in a school w/ whiteboards, but the school I am in now has chalkboards. I MUCH PREFER CHALKBOARDS!!! I hated the white board. The markers always dried out so easily, and they would leave streaks on the board, so you would have to wash it all the time. I'm SO surpised to see all these people say they like whiteboards....I hated them!! I'm definitly CHALKBOARD!!!

34. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 3, 2005

chalkboard or whiteboard

I love my whiteboards. I'm in a new school building so they asked the teachers what to put in the classrooms. We all chose magnetic whiteboards!! We all use EXPO markers- they are on our supply lists. Each child also has a dry erase board in his/her desk. Each child brings a sock from home for cleaning. I use both the dry erase board cleaner and baby wipes for cleaning my board.

35. Happystamper

Happystamper Rookie

Aug 17, 2005

Tip for using whiteboards

My college has whiteboards and one thing we learned very quickly is to never touch the boards with our hands. Once you do that spot will keep the ink until you get the whiteboard cleaner out.

The classroom where I am student teaching has a chalkboard and a bit of white board. I am undecided as to which I like better. I seem to find good and bad about both types.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  36. Nisey

Nisey Companion

Aug 17, 2005

When I was student teaching I had chalkboards and I spent most of the time sneezing....I guess I developed an allergy to chalkdust. Since having my own classroom we always have whiteboards and I love them...except for when I get whiteboard dust on my khaki pants. ;)

37. Robinson

Robinson New Member

Sep 7, 2005

Whiteboard eraser/cleaner innovations from Finland

Greetings from Finland (Scandinavia, Europe) We have here one inventor/manufacturer based here in NOKIA who have made very good patented innovation for whiteboard erasing/cleaning. You guys just need to tell someone office supplies dealer to import that item for you. Take a look.

Here is link for the Whiteboard eraser innovation.

www.wonderwells.com/smarteraser

And here is link for whiteboard cleaner

www.wonderwells.com/smarteraserplus

These products really works!!

38. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2005

I hate chalk boards but love my white boards :)

39. Cole

Cole Companion

Sep 7, 2005

I had white boards until this year.

I got moved to a larger room (YAY!) but it has chalkboards...my allergies have been bugging me for 3 weeks now, and we've only been in school 3 1/2...this is going to be a LONG year....

40. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2005

Just this year we got whiteboards and I love them. In the past years I have tried dustless chalk and see no difference at all from dustless to regular chalk. They are both messy.

41. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2005

Cole, my sympathies to your sinuses. Here are two ideas:

(1) Could you use an overhead projector instead of the blackboard?

(2) Staples (the office supply chain) carries or used to carry static-clean dry-erase sheets. You could buy a pad or a roll and stick them on your blackboard - no adhesive, so they'll peel right off. You might need to look in the catalog. I think Office Depot is now carrying something similar, except that it involves an adhesive, so your district might have fits - but perhaps you could mount it to one side of a refrigerator box or a sheet of particle board or something similar and hang the result from the top of the chalkboard.