Chalk :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Annie227, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Any suggestions on using a chalkboard? I am extremely sensitive to how things feel and I HATE chalk, but my new classroom does not have a white board!!! I have already ordered aluminum chalk holders and mounted a white board on an easel for small group use - but even things like erasing the chalk board are extremely troublesome for me.

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 5, 2007

I'm allergic to chalk, go figure. Do what I did. I bought "aquatiles/aquaboards" from Lowe's and just propped them up on the chalkboard. They're really thin and cheap. Some people call them showerboards. You can use these as makeshift whiteboards.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

Personally I prefer a chalkboard to a white board!

However, definitely use those chalk holders so you don't have to hold the chalk in your hand. If erasing gives you grief also, I would try to keep it to a minumum and then get the kids to erase for you- they will love it, and if it's something you have to do often during the day you can just pick several different students so that nobody misses a lot of time to copy notes and whatnot.

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2007

I'm sensitive to everything-allergies & asthma (yuck!). I use chalk a bit but I have the chalk holders that you slip the chalk in one end, then you can write without getting chalk all over your hand. Children love to erase the board, however some of them may be sensitive also so we use a damp cloth (keeps the dust from flying). I also have a white board I prop up on the chalk tray.

6. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Aug 5, 2007

someone once told me that at the end of each school day...assign 2 kids to cover the erasers with Kleenex and wipe down the board with it. It removes excess chalk residue from the board. It works pretty nicely.

7. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I am with you. I do NOT like the feel of erasing on the board. Or when the chalk squeaks. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. I would also recommend the shower board. It's what I plan to do. I've read to use turtle wax on it first so that it will erase cleanly.

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

eeewww ... I hate chalk! the feel of it on my fingures, the feel of my fingers on the board, the smell of it ... I hate it all. I'm so glad that I started teaching in the whiteboard age!!

9. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

I also hate chalk!! And chalkboards! Since you have some whiteboard, do you have to have the chalkboard? I know some teachers who cover it with colord no-fade butcher pape and usethat for their meeting area or as a bulletin of some sort. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I think you can buy sheets of some sort of linloeum or white surface at Home DEpot and use that to also make your own make-shift white board. You may be able to attach or prop that up too.

I recently interned in a room with chalkboards. Everyday I covered the board with white butcher paper--not measuring it out, just guessing and taping it down. I tried not to use it much, but it helped. The kids have trouble seeing the chalk, it seems.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2007

Not only do I hate chalk it aggrivates my asthma, my doc wrote me a note and I applied for a accommidation,.....so they will be installing a whiteboard. When I am not sure, but they have to. IF you have a physical reason, see your doc

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2007

I prefer writing on a chalkboard - white boards don't provide enough "resistance" for me and my writing gets all sloppy. But I have some texture issues, as well. I use chalk holders, and I also erase the board with a wet rag, not with an eraser. That helps me.

I have also found that some brands of chalk are more manageable for me. Experiment with various brands. Some are smoother and firmer (for lack of better words) and they don't bother me nearly as much. I have found that the most expensive kind you can buy is usually, in the case, the best.
    Kim

12. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to try the chalkboard for a while (with a holder and using a wet rag & student helpers). If I really can't handle it I'll go get the showerboard. It's a strange combination at my school - some classes have chalkboards, some have SmartBoards and some have white boards (and then the whole spectrum of combinations).

13. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 6, 2007

It bothers me, too, but mostly I just don't like the mess. I finally figured out that Kleenex Brand "Viva" paper towels work great for mopping up chalk dust residue on the board. They work because they are very soft and seem to "absorb" the dust. Also, you have to rub firmly, but it really helps. No other brand but Viva seems to work as well. On Friday's I would go over the board with a damp (damp, not web) cloth. Fresh and clean on Monday!